Find
Notify
Tools

Things that truly suck
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
"THINGS THAT TRULY SUCK"

Things suck like buckling brass when trying to crimp and seat a bullet with the same die.

Like seating primers in your ammo upside down.

Like going hunting and stepping in a puddle, only to have the water go over the top of your waterproof boots, filling em up, and youre a 2 hour walk away from the truck.

OR...

Like driving to the Management Area, almost running over a doe after passing through teh check station, walking for 4 hours not to see a DAMN thing, and finally making way back to the truck in teh rain only to have a FAT ASS hog tear up the palmetto bushes 10 feet in front of your truck for like 30 seconds AFTER you have unloaded your weapon and have it HALFWAY IN THE DAMN CASE already.

The latter happened to me this morning. I need a drink.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gixxer
I have a solution for you. Buy a 4", 44 Magnum revolver. Learn to shoot it good.
Then carry it loaded with Speer 270 SP or Federal 300 Cast Core.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"THINGS THAT TRULY SUCK"

Things like going out to the woods without your treestand, having a fattie walk within 50yd, and you cant get a shot off cause he wont stop and ONCE AGAIN the bushes are thick as shit. If I only had my stand...

To add insult, there was a guy at the check station filleting a SWEET(by FLA standards) 8 point, 158lb undressed.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Sometimes thats just the way it goes. Have a drink, shake it off and head back in the morning.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
NE .450 has a great idea. I usually carry a handgun (either my .480 or my Casull) when I am hunting with a rifle as you just never know when you may need it -- you had the perfect situation for justifying carrying a handgun as well!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Never unload your gun till the hunt is over...and that's when you "touch" the bakkie.

Don't worry things like that happends to all of us beer

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True, things happen. But, a handgun(albeit a nice addition to the collection, especially a 500 S&W) does not help me shoot at things I cant see. I dont wanna shoot a pig in the ass and have em run for days. Maybe I need to poke a little at the wife to let me spend some of MY money (wierd, huh). Maybe an AR10 would work too, especially with a 20rd mag.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Gixxer,
Sounds like typical Florida WMA hunting. Where were you hunting at?

Isaiah 41:10

Posts: 120 | Location: Clermont, FL | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Green Swamp.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo, congragulations on becoming Billengual. Afrikaans, Spanish, and English.

I am going to need you to take me pig sticking in 2007 or 2008. I am trying to pay off this years hunt. I am sure that it will take most of 2006.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gixxer:
Green Swamp.

I imagine Green Swamp is pretty wet this year. I haven't hunted it in several years. For somebody willing to work hard, there are some good bucks in there. Plenty of hogs, too.

Posts: 120 | Location: Clermont, FL | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea, all of the action is on the south side of the Withlacoochie(think I spelled it right). I have been set up right on the south banks close to SR471. And wet, yes it is. Most of the guys are gettin em in the swamp areas, not on dry land.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yea, all of the action is on the south side of the Withlacoochie(think I spelled it right). I have been set up right on the south banks close to SR471. And wet, yes it is. Most of the guys are gettin em in the swamp areas, not on dry land.

It's all about the river. Whether I hunted Green Swamp, Richloam, Jumper Creek,etc. I always found myself hunting the Withlacoochee River banks. Especially turkey hunting.
Of course, when it's really wet it's hard to tell where the actual river is Roll Eyes .

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Things that suck. Hunting on public land.

Getting to your treestand early finding someone else setting in it. Later he gets the big buck that you should have had. That sucks. Then he brags about it while showing the heart he had stuck in his pocket. It don't just suck the guy is a dip stick to boot.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those other places allow rifles, or shotty only? I would like to hunt somewhere smaller, like actually score a quota hunt permit at one of em where I can use the rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those other places allow rifles, or shotty only? I would like to hunt somewhere smaller, like actually score a quota hunt permit at one of em where I can use the rifle.

Green Swamp West is the quota to get. I've hunted it on a turkey quota permit and it is slap covered up with bucks.

Richloam is crap -dog hunters have destroyed it.

Jumper Creek can be good if you access it from the river(by boat). It's near Lake Panassofkee, just off of I-75.

My favorite is Croom. It's pretty much the only WMA I hunt anymore. I've been hunting GA for the past few years. I'm joining a new club in Levy County, FL next year.
Public land just sucks in FL.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I might give Avon Park a try, it is open year round to AD military folks. I went there once, and for some reason didnt like it. Might have to put in some time. Having the money to join a hunt club might be nice too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I might give Avon Park a try, it is open year round to AD military folks. I went there once, and for some reason didnt like it. Might have to put in some time. Having the money to join a hunt club might be nice too.

That's what Income tax refunds are for Wink . I have a good friend who hunts Avon Park. H ekilled a nice 8pt this year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good call on the refund. I always get a fattie check every year. one of the things about Avon Park is you have to call each and every time you want to go cause the wing king there can shut the gates at any time, and a lot of zones get black listed when they are actually bombing. Did he get it on the civilian side or mil?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Civilian side. They have a website. He pulls it up sometimes to show me the kill photos. They take some decent bucks off of there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckbill:
Civilian side. They have a website. He pulls it up sometimes to show me the kill photos. They take some decent bucks off of there.

Here's your website...

http://www.avonparkafr.com

He said the civilian quota hasn't been filled the last few years, so all you need to do is pay your $10 and send in your application. Check ou thte website. It's a good one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I do recall, I can go there year round on the military side to hunt hogs. I have to call and ask. It said nothing aboout it on the website. BTW thanks for shooting the link.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Duckbill, what club in Levy?

Saw a really nice 6 point come out of Gulf Hammock two days back, probably about 180-190 field weight. Boys hunting that place all use shotgun, not because they have too, but because it is really thick. Lot of dog hunters there for the moment but I think those days are numbered.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DigitalDan:
Duckbill, what club in Levy?

Hey Dan,
THe Levy county club is just outside of Bronson. It's strictly still-hunt. I've been hunting it as a guest this year and I'm really impressed with it. My uncle and cousins hunted Gulf Hammock for years. You're right, that's mostly dog-hunting territory over that way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeppers, heard that was a good one there in Bronson.

Merry Christmas!

Hey Gixxer, at least YOU took ammo with you...right?

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I did go to the range without my handloads. My wife god bless her little heart drove all the way out to drop it off and then go to work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It could of been worse, I had to go to work, of course that is better than shopping with the wife lol

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, just keeping an old thread going. 3 weekends in a row, and again animals around the truck. My wife got pissed and finally said " Next time we go, we are not walking in the woods forever, we ARE setting up 20 feet from the truck!". Point well taken, lets see waht happens this weekend...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck Gixxer. I'm headed to Bronson this weekend. I'm hoping to catch a piggy coming to a feeder thumb .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apparently I need all the luck I can get. Wish I had a feeder to hunt off of. Good luck too.