Find
Notify
Tools

Wild Hog Hunt Texas
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted
Has anyone hunted with Wild Hog Hunt Texas? They apparently have a number of ranches near San Antonio they hunt from. Stories of experiences good or bad would be appreciated.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
I am going with a group in Feb,07 .
I have heard good things, but we will see.
Sean

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My hunting partner answered an ad for Texas Pig Hunt on a ranch at $225 (plus the $45 state pig tag )for 3 days including room and board,he paid and went, got there learning all of the 'big pigs" advertised were actually 65 pounders and the barbed wire fenced "ranch" was all of 300 acres.It was not a spot and stalk instead it was a flush and shoot hunt according to my friend at 65 pound pigs not like those shown in the pictures.Some other varmint hunters were taken to another ranch but they never got any varmints.the web site is http://www.wildhoghunttexas.com .Before I'd go there I'd head to some private ranches in CA where I can hunt Russian Cross or other varieties and shoot or arrow a big hog.A friends wife arrowed a 350# Russian Cross Hog that charged them , he arrowed it twice,it dropped dead 10 feet from them.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like a place I'm not going to bother going to. Instead, I'll spend my time/money on another Africa hunt.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scr83jp:
Before I'd go there I'd head to some private ranches in CA where I can hunt Russian Cross or other varities and shoot or arrow a big hog.A friends wife arrowed a 350# Russian Cross Hog that charged them , he arrowed it twice,it dropped dead 10 feet from them.

Any recommendations?

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
quote:
Before I'd go there I'd head to some private ranches in CA where I can hunt Russian Cross or other varities and shoot or arrow a big hog.A friends wife arrowed a 350# Russian Cross Hog that charged them , he arrowed it twice,it dropped dead 10 feet from them.

Any recommendations?
Big Horn Canyon Ranch http://www.ladyhunter.com/bighorn/gamelist.htm Tejon Ranch http://www.tejonranch.com/conservation/game_wildlife.asp# other sources Fort Hunter Liggett ph 831-386-2214 , Vandenberg AFB hog hunting for active military personnel;BLM & Ca Dept of Fish & Game has hog info it's the #1 big game animal in Calif .Do a google search for Hog Hunting in California there's lots of information.A group of AZ G&F volunteers hunted Big Horn Canyon Ranch I read the writeup on their hunt.

One of Us
Picture of Steve Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:
(plus the $45 state pig tag )

Never heard of such a thing as a "state pig tag" unless its for out of state license just for pig.

Posts: 142 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The $45 is for a 5 day non-resident hunting license, which is good for exotic animals (feral hogs) among others.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
iv had some great texas hunting experiences but the old addage is very true you get ewhat you pay for......

try camp cooley....true me they will show you a good time......hunting is mainly at night during the summer......

and its 150$ day and 50$ hog.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Truth of the matter is, there are very few places that can nationally advertise still, stand, or stalk hunting that are not under some kind of fence to hold the hogs, which are regularly supplemented with bought or trapped hogs. Otherwise, after they've killed a few, the others flat won't come out in daylight and will learn not to come to feeding stations in the dark if continually pressured. One place that comes to mind is just a few miles from me and they kill dozens if not hundreds of hogs a year there, all on about 80 acres. Yeah, right. There are some bigger places that hunt hogs as a supplement with limited advertising that are not that way, I understand, especially if they are on some river system, but I haven't tried them, so am not going to name names.

I have more hogs than average on my place, but they are mostly killed (or at least I want to kill them) on sight so they are hard to find and harder to hunt. I killed about 15 in less than a month myself about a month back when they first moved back in after the dry summer, and they've almost completely disappeared for about the last month, have only seen one and he heard me first. We've just located some fresh sign on another section and I have a friend, who's nuts about wild hog meat and hunting them, coming tomorrow to try his luck. That's the only way I can tell someone they've got a decent chance of killing a hog or two on my place is when I find a fresh group moving around somewhere. Believe me, they're a lot smarter than most people give them credit for.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, once feral hogs have been shot into a couple of times, are harder than Bull Elk to hunt.

It seems that trapping them does not produce the same effect.

That is one thing that helps their survival as a species in the wild here in Texas, and probably elsewhere, they learn what NOT to do. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You got that right Crazyhorse. There are a lot of places down here that do nighttime bowhunts and one in particular down by Laredo is booked solid for every full moon from Mar. to Sept.
I know some of the guys that go on these particular hunts and they do get some big boars. These aren't put and take pigs either. Just big, wild, smart, free rangeing hogs.
Now if you like moonlite stalking with a bow(snake boots are a must) then this is the hunt for you

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted hogs in Texas twice. One hunt was not so hot, but the other was fantastic! Here is the website for the good hunt.

www.lazyrhunts.com

Chris and Maria are excellent hosts. The ranch is 15,000+ acres. His deal was all the hogs you could shoot, 1 javelina, and coyotes/bobcats. In 3 days, my buddy and I killed 6 wild hogs, and 2 javies. I missed a coyote, and a bobcat. We didn't hunt the last evening, cause our coolers were full Big Grin.

Chris doesn't hunt at night, so suggest booking hunt in dark of moon. The ranch is located 40 mi. SW of Uvalde Tx. My buddy and I will go back. Would have this year, but momma insists on a vacation to Cabo....oh well, if momma ain't happy, nobody's happy....

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Sons & I went to M.Y. Ranch last year (May)
http://www.my-ranch.com/. It was very nice & we are going back next week... of the 4 of us 2 of us took 2 hogs each rainging from 80 to 200 pounds. We saw a VERY big boar but were to chatty to get a shot.

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
The Nail Ranch in Shackelford county has great hog hunting. 50,000+ acres low fenced. You will see hundreds of hogs.

http://www.nail-ranch.com/

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Huffaker:
The Nail Ranch in Shackelford county has great hog hunting. 50,000+ acres low fenced. You will see hundreds of hogs.

http://www.nail-ranch.com/

Do you know if it is being sold? seems like I saw it listed as "under contract" on Sam Middleton's website.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Charles e-mail sent

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Huffaker:
Charles e-mail sent

Thank you sir!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no personal experience with this place, but their pricing structure is a dead giveaway---if you can find it all. You have to sort through several pages of the website to find it all:

$1 per hunter
$225 guide fee
$35 mandatory skinning fee per hog (which they claim they must do per Texas Parks & Wildlife)
$50 mandatory minimum gratuity payable on arrival since the staff work only for tips (want the cook mad at you?)
$75 for meals
$50 per hog.
And you have to bring them deer corn: "Please bring 2 bags of deer corn per hunter, prior to your arrival. Deer corn can be bought locally at Wal-Mart or the feed store."

If you read the fine print, this suddenly becomes a not very good deal or at least a much more complicated pricing structure than available elsewhere.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, if it's true that once you shoot at them a couple of times, they won't come out after dark, then something strange is going on at the ranch I hunt. We've killed about 20 in the past 12 months, and still have a resident population approaching 50-60 based on counts done be folks in the blinds at a specified time. We are hunting about 600 ac.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

posted Hide Post
Can I use a .260Rem w/Soroccos? I'm vary comfortable with this gun.

Posts: 9 | Location: Standish, MI | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
My Grandson has killed a couple this year with his 30BR and 125 grn. Ballistic Tips. He shot one in the head and one through the shoulder.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mdspencer,

If you shoot them about two inches below the ear, on a line between the ear and shoulder w/ your 260 rem you should be fine. They'll drop on the spot and paddle with their hind legs but they'll be dead and don't know it. If you shoot them behind the shoulder like a deer they will run a ways and you might not find them if you don't have a good blood trail.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'll pass this info along. Thanks

Posts: 9 | Location: Standish, MI | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
The $45 is for a 5 day non-resident hunting license, which is good for exotic animals (feral hogs) among others.
My mistake sorry got the wrong amount posted.