New
Find
Notify
Tools

Out West Farms?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody on the forum ever hunt with them? Gator or hogs? Taking the missus to south fla, a year from Feb., for 2 weeks. Out west and 3-4 other places are all within an hr. of Okeechobee, where I think we are gonna stay. Figured a day or 2 of piggy hunting and some bass/panfishing will make me happy. My son may fly down for 3-4 days and try to partake of a gator hunt. Any info on Outwest or other outfitters in the area appreciated.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Lightsey Cattle Co. ran hog hunts on an island in central Florida. Brady Ranch is another big name outfit down there.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just going to start a new thread about taking a friend and his 10 year old son there today, but since you asked, i will post a reply to you. Got to Outwest Farms a little before 8 am today. Another group of guys were heading out with dogs as we pulled in. We headed out with no dogs and went towards the other end of the property. We saw a nice hog and started to chase her down the fence line. We went quite a away but stayed on the hog. We got within 50 yards and stopped the buggy. The hog was breaking back when my friends son touched off a shot with a 12ga pump. It was his first time shooting a shotgun and his first shot at anything bigger than a squirrel. The hog took off and we thought he missed, then it collapsed about 30 feet from where it was shot. We were all amazed. We thought the guide put in buck shot, but it was a slug.
I shot my first hog at Outwest Farms and also was without dogs. Great people and plenty of hogs. The other group of hunters came back with 7 nice hogs.

photo.JPG by tarawa1943, on Flickr

photo.JPG by tarawa1943, on Flickr

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
That's a rare thrill to help a young`un get his first critter! Well done!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's great, now you've made another hunter.
Good for you, be proud.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6017 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tarawa, that's great, and thanks for the info!

George, yeah I remember the Lightsey Cattle Co. They used to run hog hunts on Brahma Island, on lake kissimee. However, they no longer do. Also found out while googling, that the Brady Ranch sold out to another outfitter in south florida.

any more info appreciated boys.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just know that Lee Lightsey runs the hunting operation and several other outfitters use the ranch. Gerry Goff has filmed his TV show there. I was also told tha the Lightsey family ran a restaurant on Lake O and specialized by the fresh fish caught there. I like the ranch because it isn't allmthat flat and the buggy rides can become quite adventurous whe chasing a hog or running the dogs.

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with the Lightsey's at Outwest Farms for alligator and exotics. I know them well and can answer any questions you might have about it. Gator prices shot way up for some reason recently, but he has the gators, guides, equipment and access. Contact me anytime and enjoy.

Posts: 633 | Location: California | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Wade,
My guide at Outwest and myself were talking about all the shows on cable TV. They have generated a lot of interest in hogs and gators. I believe he said they got 400 gator tags prior to "Swamp People".....they got 2 last year. Competition for tags is getting tough now. I didn't get any last year.
What exotic did you go after? I sure would like to stalk an Asian buffalo.

Life Is For Service
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took a gator and a blackbuck while I was down there. He had lots of waterbuffalo too. You know Ross hammock Ranch by Tampa has some specials going on water buffalo. Another nice place, great lodge. I never figured that show would generate such an interest in gator hunting, but I guess it did. Happy Holidays, Wade

Posts: 633 | Location: California | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote