New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two In A Row
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, I'm half-way ashamed to post this, but I've missed two in a row--missed the solo pig last week, and last night I missed another in a group of 5-6. I sat in my truck, about 70 yds from the feeder (a little farther than my usual seat) since it was lightly raining. I thought I had enough light, and could see the crosshair well enough for a shot.

About 8:40 I noticed a dark spot near the feeder-and when I put the binocs on it, it was a solitary pig. Since the feeder hadn't spun yet, and no corn on the ground, it just made a pass and walked off to the east. Feeder went off at 9:30 and within 4-5 minutes I had pigs in the pen. Got the rifle (the .25-06 this time instead of the .22-250) all set up, rested on a sandbag on the side mirror, and waited until they sorted themselves out and I could see a head--I thought. Touched off the shot and it felt right, but no pig on the ground. So, either it was a shadow or I just plain missed. I had been to the range to adjust zero from my 2.5" high at 100 yds to dead on at 50 yds, so I can't blame the rifle.

That's OK though, since we've had rain this week--and more in the forecast. First appreciable rain we've had since April and it is only a start to ending the drought. I'll forego hunting if it rains!!!

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dustoffer,
Just makes it that much better when you do connect.

I was hunting javelina south of Ft. Stockton a month or so ago. I had bought a 257 bob in the rem 700 cdl, the 75th anniversary edition. Gone to the range and zeroed it 1" high at 100 yds two days before the trip. It was shooting the 110 gr accubonds inside an inch. Well I had been sitting in the stand since before daylight. Guide had told me he would come back to pick me up between 9:30 and 10 am. I had corned the road in front of me and was sitting pretty for a 100 yd. shot. Instead the javi's came in at a place about 230 yds. off to my left. They came in about 9:30. Bout the same time I heard the guides truck on the way to pick me up. I was watching him come toward me in the truck to my right and the javi's to my left. I could see one that was half again as large as the others moving left to right. I had about an 18" opening in the brush where he was for a shooting lane. He was moving when I shot. I was trying to catch him in this 18" opening while he was moving and the guide driving up. Rushed the shot. Didn't hear it hit. Looked for blood about 30 minutes. I sure hate it when I miss. But it happens, to even some of us who are not the best.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, went back to the seat last night--just 3 days since I missed the last time. I didn't think it was going to be a good night since there was 15-20 lbs of corn on the ground--obviously nothing has been to the feeder since I shot and missed last Thursday.

So-either I've shot/worked myself out of a job, or the other folks in the area are beginning to spin up their feeders in anticipation of the coming deer season. Plus, we've gotten 3-4" of rain in the last week so they may be off rooting up other pastures.

Oh well, heading back out on Tuesday--got to put up another light to replace the one the cow's broke, fill the feeder, reset the timer (getting dark around 8 now instead of 9), and just maybe shoot a pig (or miss?).

Sure beats sitting in the house--

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chances are they will be back. Once they get it in their piggy little brains that this is where the groceries are, the usually keep on comin'
I'd say sit out and enjoy.
Solitude can at times be precious. And a cool night and gentle breezes can assuage a mans soul like balm on a burn.

At my lease when I'm by myself, I don't use the generator. I love to sit out of a night with a good cigar, a toddy, and gaze up at the milky way, feel the night breezes on my brow and listen to the night sounds an just drift away.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya--you are spot on about sitting under the stars with a cool breeze--I thoroughly enjoyed my sit last night, and I'll enjoy it tomorrow as well.

That Milky Way is something on a clear night--