Find
Notify
Tools

Charged?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi guys,
Last night at the gun club, there was a rather heated discussion about hunting boar. The general opinion was that they are truly dangerous to hunt. Being that I don't know very much about them, I am asking for some feedback.
How many of you, who have hunted boar, have actually been charged by one of these critters? If so, what did you do to provoke the attack? It seems to me that a well place bullet should just about be the end of the story. Are they actually that hard to kill?
The reason I am asking is that I am leaving on a boar hunt later this month, and would like to have some idea as to what to expect. I will be using a 45-70 pushing a 350 grain slug at just about 2100 fps. I just can't imagine any boar doing much of anything after taking one of these in the chest. Am I wrong?
Thanks for any info you can provide.

Posts: 282 | Location: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: 26 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
im a ph from argentina i hunt hogs with dogos,and i have been charged a lot of times my dogos have bee cutted and injured and ask one of my clients and members of the forum ron l. the boars figthed the dogs and one charged directly toward us.when you hunt with knives ist truly dangerous .look at my page www.huntinginargentina.com.ar you will see my dogs and god boars.juan

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As �N E 450 No2� had to say, many times if you get close to them and fire at one other, in the process of getting away, will almost run you over. Sometimes after seeing you they will come for you. I have had this happen a number of times. When I was still with the sheriffs office I helped haul two hunters out of the hills that got cut up by a 230 lb. boar they wounded. Problem was they were using rifles not suited for taking hogs(one .22-250 and the other was a .243 Win.) in the brush at close range. Total number of stitches in both men was over 180. Wild Hog hunting can get interesting. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thought I would fill you all in as to what happened on my hunt for Wild Boar. As you recall, I was little concerned about the possibility of being charged If this hunt is any indication, my concerns were completely unfounded. My partner & I were taken into the woods at about 7:00AM, and placed on what was referred to as an active stand. We were on a small rise, about 35 yards from a heavily traveled trail through some relatively deep underbrush. To our rear, about 50 yards away, was a 10 to 15 acre open field. We were told to watch the trail, and the treeline, while the guide would attempt to push something toward us.
After about 2 � hours on stand, I heard something moving in the underbrush in the direction of the trail. In about another 5 minutes or so, I saw 4 smallish pigs coming down the trail. As my partner was a little further away, I signaled him that we were having some visitors, and he slowly crept over in my direction. By this time, I saw another group of animals, about 6, all a good deal larger. As I was not too sure how to judge the actual size, I decided that I would try for the largest one in this group. Looked big to me. When it got to about 40 yards away, I was able to get the sight picture I wanted, and squeezed off the shot. The animal spun around, dashed about 20 yards back up the trail, and went down. By this time I had reloaded, and was ready to take a finishing shot if needed. It wasn�t.
My partner then fired into the brush off to my right, at a boar he had spotted. His first hit was a little too far back, so he let another one go, and took it through the heart.
Now the fun really began. When we looked around to take stock of the situation, we discovered that we were surrounded by 10 to 12 boar, all looking in our direction. Remembering what the guide had told us, we froze, and kept our guns ready. We were told that as long as we didn�t move, we would not be charged. After about another 5 minutes or so, (felt like a week) they decided to move on, and we were left with our downed animals.
When I got to mine, I discovered that the 350 grain Hornady, out of my 45-70 had done its job perfectly. The entry hole was in the pig�s left side, just at the crease behind the front shoulder. The exit was a fist sized hole about 8� back from the shoulder on the far side. Slug hit a rib when exiting.
Anyway, I now feel that as long as you pay attention to what your guide tells you, the chances of being charged are very slim. Looking forward to doing this again. I have no idea of the live weight of the animal, but I brought home 127 pounds of meat. Good enough for me.
Henry�s pig was a bit larger, and he took home 138 pounds.
Thanks for all you advise, and help.

Posts: 282 | Location: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: 26 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tweesdad,
Thanks for the successful hunting report. Those are fairly good sized porkers to net out 120 lbs plus of meat. From your report, I gather that you and friend were allowed to take one each. I would have had great difficulty in your situation. The porkers in that area have apparently not been hunted much.

I'm sure that you and friend will want to do it again.

Geoff

Posts: 619 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, one each was it. A real shame too. Considering the # of animals we saw, taking two or three each would have been easy. Of course, I would have to buy another freezer. I try not to take more than I need, and besides, I was invited back next year. Private land, invitation only. Friend of a friend. Place was originally a hunting preserve, that went belly up. Most of the animals were left to fend for themselves, and are thriving. Boars are Russian strain, and don't look like any pig I have ever seen before. Black with long hair and a massive chest. Gets your attention.
Well, had a great time and will go again for sure

one of us
posted Hide Post
I WAS on a pig hunt and literally was on one side of about 100 yard field and a pig was crossing at the other end, caught my movement and started towards me. I though "HUH?!?!?!?" he didn't look that big and I didn't want to kill him, but he kept coming. I was carrying a Redhawk .41 magnum with some "special loads" I had brewed just for pigs.( when I shot my pig that hunt, I shot it at about 40yds entered the left side shoulder, went through both shoulders and gristle plates and out the left shoulder . Made a .41 cal hole on the on side and exited at about .42 on the off side. THe outfitter just scratched his head and said he never saw a pistol do so much damage and exit with such a small hole. the 300# pig never got out of it's tracks.)
At 40 yards I waved and hollared, at 30 yds I yelled some more, at 20 yds I stopped yelling and started really bearing down on sight picture,at 15 yds he broke and ran to the wood line. Only time I ever got charged, but he sure went a long way out of his way to do it.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote