Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Big - Truth or Not
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted
i see hogs of these size most are ecapees from a farm and some appeared in the bush perhaps have some boar blood but very few they are in general very dangerous for the dogs they dont escape they attack always i saw that photo in the boar hunter mag i was there too with 2 hogs .juan

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
in argentina we killed some hogs of this size why because its a large country with few people in a swamp 100kms north of my ranch a fpig farm several years ago 15yeras broke and freed all the pigs there they crossed with boars and you can kill a giat ,in the mountains of sierra de la ventana or in the jungles of salta its tghe same.juan www.huntinginargentina.com.ar

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got to agree with JJ on this. Periodically a photo shows up somewhere of a huge hog which is just a barnyard escapee someone shot.

If ya'll want to see a large one in person, each year a guy at the county fair has "The World's Largest Pig" in a tent that you can eyeball for $1. Same thing.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 breeder boars in the barn now that will tip the scales around 800# or more. For a reasonble fee I'll let someone come shoot one on the back 40.
More likely than not that's what happened here.BB

one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
Hey, BALLBUSTER, is that a semi-guided hunt? How about a trophy fee?

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
naw nothing like that! A flat kill fee of $499.99 + $50 to cape it for mounting.BB

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
This should be Snoped. Packy

one of us
posted Hide Post
This photo was on my local cable TV, the show is O'Neil Outside. This is a local hunting show ,the host hunts hogs on the same property as Hogzilla(named by land owner).This is a feral(cross) hog not your typical barnyard Holstein, notice long hair and straight tail. The proerty is in south east Georgia. It was also in the local papers. Weird but true. Ben(rug)

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok I got the exact weight of this pig. HUGE. Pen raised or not that is alot of pork. My $.02

Ray

Posts: 187 | Location: USMC | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rug; when you say "cross" what was it crossed with?
This is a farm pig pure and simple. It may have been shot in the bush but it's certainly not a "wild boar" by any stretch. It's got floppy ears for goodness sakes! Long hair has zip to do with it's genetics. Read the post a bit further down on wild hog genetics. It's got a whole ton of info on the research done to establish what a wild boar is and what a domestic hog is. That "pig" is just a simple farm pig which somebody shot in the woods. If anyone believes otherwise they will also believe that a holstien shot in the woods is a feral cape buffalo!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JJ ,My post was only to share what I saw, I did not mean to challenge your all wise and knowing biology. I will leave the Cape Cattle for another day. Happy hunting Rug

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
I grew up on a hog farm, and a "feral" boar is not the same as a "wild" or razorback. Feral just means it was a domesticated hog that is now longer raised by people.

We had some boars top out at just 900 lbs, but never let them get much bigger than that. A horny half ton boar is kind of hard to control.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i have seen a 700# released boar (that was 1/2 feral and grew up in a pen, destined to bred, not be shot) that was smaller than this one.

1200 #

no clue.... seriously... i DOUBT it's 1200#, but i don't have a real reason to call the fella a liar.

Would be interesting if anyone has some FFA pictures of a 800-900# to compare with

jeffe

Posts: 38513 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1200 Pound Pig???

Roland

posted Hide Post
Field and Stream reported on it...

I personally have no idea. Doesn't look to be doctored.

Gerry

Posts: 11 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: 14 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
1200#s is a lot of pork, but as has been pointed out, the photo doesn't look doctored to me either. It is possible, but how does a hog survive that long to grow that large? Recent farm escapee perhaps? It's just hard to believe, but again, possible. And I thought a 300 pounder was a big hog -- goes to show what I know.

Whitworth

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The fellow is the photo is standing well behind the hog in the photo....this is a typical pose used by brown bear guides for years as they use a wide-angle lens, pose the hunter several feet behind the bear and get a low angle so you can't see the seperation.

This may well be a big hog....but the camera tricks are making it look bigger than it is.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
he's touching it, so he's not yards behind...

big pig..

can you imagine the stink?

jeffe

Posts: 38513 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Isn't that the pig that the guy's burried after harvesting and taking the pic? I think thats the pic. Anybody that would shoot a pig that big and then burry it and not get the head mounted instead is suspect to me.

Posts: 74 | Location: Jacksonville NC | Registered: 16 February 2003Reply With Quote