Find
Notify
Tools

How much tusk inside the jaw?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
I do not have a boar skull that I can pull the teeth out of, so, does anyone know how many inches of tusk are inside the jaw, below the gum line?

I have heard anywhere from 1/3 to 3/4 ... both can be true I guess, based on how much is above the gum line. The amount inside a mature boar should be somewhat consistent across the board though.

Anyone have one handy that they can measure?

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
On the bottom tusk, from my experience, from the gum line to the end of the tusk, 1 inch plus. It gets paper thin, but I have boiled out a jaw or two and it always surprises me how far the tusks go in the bottom jaw.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about live, but, these mounts
I have with the phony's are glued on right
at the gums.
All four were broken off when they got here.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
On the bottom tusk, from my experience, from the gum line to the end of the tusk, 1 inch plus. It gets paper thin, but I have boiled out a jaw or two and it always surprises me how far the tusks go in the bottom jaw.

After re-reading my response and the OP, I realized I had messed up with my answer. On both hogs and javelina 1/2 to 2/3rds. of the bottom tusks is in the jaw bone.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of huntromania
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
I do not have a boar skull that I can pull the teeth out of, so, does anyone know how many inches of tusk are inside the jaw, below the gum line?

I have heard anywhere from 1/3 to 3/4 ... both can be true I guess, based on how much is above the gum line. The amount inside a mature boar should be somewhat consistent across the board though.

Anyone have one handy that they can measure?

Sir,
In est Europe, for a mature wild boar the tuscks will be 1/3 outside and 2/3 inside the jaw.
However, once the boar became older they can have up to 45% outside and 55% inside the jaw.
I hope this will help you...

Ing. MARIUS VICTOR MERUȚIU
Owner
HUNTROMANIA
contact@huntromania.com
Cell phone +40745280573

Posts: 303 | Location: Romania | Registered: 26 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with CHC and huntromania after pulling thousands of tusk over the years those are pretty fair estimates. You will on occasion have a few outside this but most will be in those parameters.

Aloha!

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The ones CHC sent me from my hogs were 2/3-3/4 inside the jaw.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
True; you will find more inside than outside, but as said, they get thin the closer to the end you get. When you mount one, you want to pull them out to make them longer than in real life. Professional taxidermists use plastic ones because real ones will crack over time. The last one I had mounted, all the hair fell off after 5 years. So I spray painted it black. Looked like hell.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That made me get up and go out in the cold garage and check. I pulled one lower out of a skull--2 3/4" above the jawbone, 3" inside the jawbone.

This jaw--

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:
That made me get up and go out in the cold garage and check. I pulled one lower out of a skull--2 3/4" above the jawbone, 3" inside the jawbone.

That is what I was looking for! How much, in inches, is inside the jaw.

Thanks for measuring this.

Nice pig by the way!

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wendell--if tooth wear is any indicator as with WTD, he was an older specimen too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

Its absolutely impossible to say how much inches a boar will have in his jaw until you take it out. Ive had them as small as an inch to over 8 inches of tusk in the jaw.

Hope that helps!

Dom

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dustoffer,

Nice jaw and yes I agree fairly old bugger there. He's got hybrid tooth's as well that left one looks crazy largest ive seen on a hog.

Aloha,

Dom

one of us
posted Hide Post
Only one I've noticed the hybrid tooth in -- but then I haven't cleaned up all the jaws of the hogs I've shot so may have been others.

Recently saw some info about whitetails with "eye teeth" like elk, but have never seen any myself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wendell, theres no hard and fast rule for how much is in or out of the jaw. Although 1/3 out and 2/3 in the jaw is usually about right.
The fourth tooth back is a good indicator and a cut off at the 5th tooth line is a safe bet that you will miss the tusk.
Younger boars will have shorter and thinner tusks which will be hard to draw out as the base will be a lot larger than the base at the grind.
hook size depends on Genetics, age, conditions and minerals available.
The better hooks I have taken came from old boars 5 1/2 to 6 years of age, off saltwater arm floodplain country. Heres some pics Cheers Mick
Good hooks approx five years old lump on side of jaw behind 5th tooth is end of hook.
Young boar

Front row all taken within 1km of each other saltwater arm floodplain country, 31 4/8, 32 4/8, 33 points. Back row 31 4/8 flood plain, 32 4/8 hard dry country
Very old boar hard country 40kg's live weight 30 points, on his last legs, wouldnt have lasted the dry season.

Posts: 104 | Registered: 15 September 2013Reply With Quote