New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Texas Hog Hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Which is the best place in Texas to hunt Feral Hogs, high fenced is ok.

Thank you,
Roland

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call or email me. I can help you or find someone who can in your area.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
high fenced is ok.

How high can hogs jump???

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Walker:
quote:
high fenced is ok.

How high can hogs jump???

roflmao roflmao

I understand that in some places they successfully fence them in. In my limited experience they are the first to find a way past the fence (usually under).

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
To be more serious, there are some places in driving distance from Dallas/Fort Worth that have a decent reputation. I'd have to look around to find the information if you are interested. These are more "preserve" type hunts. There are also places with spot-and-stalk hunts or hunts with dogs and knives. A lot depends on where in the state you want to hunt and what type of hunt (methods, age/size of hog) you want.

Full disclosure -- all of my hogs have been killed on private hunting leases so I have not hunted any of these places myself. Looking at some of the old posts here or searching this forum might also produce some good suggestions.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Minimum size 200 Lbs – Blinds and stalk is fine – accommodation and guide included if possible.

Thank you,
Roland

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
This is one place I have heard about -- hopefully someone who has hunted there will post:

Buck n' Boar Outfitters

I have read some positive reports of this place in the past, although it would be much better to hear some current reports:

North Texas Outfitters

If it were me, I would try a low-fenced hunt on a place like the Nail Ranch, Stasney's Cook Ranch, or the Pitchfork Ranch with Mesquite Country Outfitters.

There are lots of other places to hunt hogs in Texas, including a number in South Texas. They do guided hunts next to the ranch I hunt on, but there would be no guarantee that you would get a 200 pound boar. I have seen some in that size but the typical ones I have seen are smaller.

Make sure you understand the size of the place and the method of hunting and get some good current references. Then have a great time and post some pictures.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hogs can jump a cattle fence if highly motivated but it isnt as graceful as a deer gliding through the air. primarily they will work a way through a fence, usually at a water gap or find a way under it which usually becomes a huge hole. Very few ranches have fences that can hold hogs indefinatly unless they are using non-climb bull wire but that is very expensive and I don't know of any. Unless you keep them in a pen they are going to find a way out and I've seen some escape from holding pens. Very tenacious and determined animals once they get their snout pointed in the directiont they want to go.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can tell you right now, you're probably going to be disappointed if you expect your "minimum" sized hog to be 200 pounds. While there are certainly much larger hogs out there, 200 to 250 pounds is on the upper end of the scale (pun intended) of what is normally shot. Most of them will weigh between 100 and 175.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I agree with Gato. A true 200 lb Hog is an absolute monster and scarce.

I trap Hogs and shoot them when I see them, and I have only shot one that honestly (on an accurate scale) weighed over 200 lbs. I have caught three that were 190-200 lbs (once again, on an accurate scale)

A hog of 150 lbs is usually a pretty big one and a reasonable expectation if you find a ranch that has a lot of them. 200 is not impossible, just not likely.

Good luck. They are out there, with a little luck, you can take one.

Posts: 6259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am booking hog hunts for Dec. and Jan. in the Panhandle. I have 3 places to hunt hogs 1280 acres,2000, and 3000acres. We hunt feeders and spot and stalk. My places are nest to the Caprock Canyons State Park. Free range and lots of pigs. All guided hunts.
E-mail dwest@centramedia.net
Home 806-665-7594
Cell 806-440-1581
Thanks, Dale West

dwest

one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
This is one place I have heard about -- hopefully someone who has hunted there will post:

Buck n' Boar Outfitters

I have read some positive reports of this place in the past, although it would be much better to hear some current reports:

North Texas Outfitters

If it were me, I would try a low-fenced hunt on a place like the Nail Ranch, Stasney's Cook Ranch, or the Pitchfork Ranch with Mesquite Country Outfitters.

There are lots of other places to hunt hogs in Texas, including a number in South Texas. They do guided hunts next to the ranch I hunt on, but there would be no guarantee that you would get a 200 pound boar. I have seen some in that size but the typical ones I have seen are smaller.

Make sure you understand the size of the place and the method of hunting and get some good current references. Then have a great time and post some pictures.

I second what Charles has said, I hunt on the Lambs Head ranch, which is right next to the Nail ranch right by Albany Texas, it is a MASSIVE co managed area and both ranches do a wonderful job for deer and the hogs are all over. I personally like the stalk method so I WOULD highly RECOMMEND THE NAIL only because its terrian is just like the lambs head, and the pigs do get BIG!

Posts: 221 | Location: SEC | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Members:

I have been reading posts from 2002 and 2003 on Rio Bonito Ranch in Junction TX. The majority have been very negative in their experiences there - eg: there are hardly any hogs, most feeders don't work, guides were not responsible in any way, etc., etc., -

Will someone who has been there lately tell me what the present situation is - in particular, the hog hunting.

Thanks,
Roland

one of us
posted Hide Post
cold
Is the part of the Lambs Head you hunt have the Clear fork of the Brazos as its Northern boundary?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Ryan,
I agree 100%
More clear impossible.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
cold
Is the part of the Lambs Head you hunt have the Clear fork of the Brazos as its Northern boundary?

I believe so, the area of the Lambs Head I hunt on is right around the Bake Oven Flat near the old Stone Ranch, theres alot of history to the place most of which Im not familiar with, all I know is, there are a ton of hogs in the area and many are bigger then those little crotch rocket bikes people ride around on here in Dallas. Im sure the Nail ranch has pigs just like it seeing as they Co Manage deer with the lambs head.

Posts: 221 | Location: SEC | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With Quote