Notify
Tools

480 lb boar killed with a .600 Overkill
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted
Gentlemen:

There is a thread in another forum here on AR about our fellow forumite, "600 Overkill" taking a beauty of a boar with his .600 Overkill.

Thread can be found here:

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=...=164100008#164100008

Enjoy!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
577, he claims 480-lbs!! YIKES!! What a trophy! I can't help but thinking what it would be like to load that beast into a truck -- hernia comes to mind! Eeker

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Whitworth:

You are 100% correct, my fellow Virginian! I have corrected my inital topic heading.

Have you seen in the Double Rifle thread that there is a wild boar hunt in Ohio in February? I'm headed there with my two double rifles to smack something.

If you are interested in going, maybe we could share a ride?

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Fellow Northern Virginian! Sounds like a good time! Don't know if I can swing a February hunt, timewise. But if I can, we can certainly car pool! thumb

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
577, he claims 480-lbs!! YIKES!! What a trophy! I can't help but thinking what it would be like to load that beast into a truck -- hernia comes to mind! Eeker

wasn't a truck. It was a snow mobile sled shocker

Posts: 467 | Location: Driftless Area of Wisconsin | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
600, are you getting the head mounted? I hope you are as that is an absolutely worthy mount!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
600, are you getting the head mounted? I hope you are as that is an absolutely worthy mount!

Oh absolutely. I wanted a full body mount but was overruled by the boss. I'm doing a shoulder mount & European skull mount. I know a place tha plates skulls in pewter, bronze or copper. Kinda neat but I'll probably keep it in the bone.

Posts: 467 | Location: Driftless Area of Wisconsin | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I am so pleased to hear that! It would have made an awesome full body mount. But, I understand as my wife wouldn't allow it either! jumping

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
Overkill, did the guys you hunted with provide a guide, or was it a "DIY" affair??

Did you spot and stalk (track?) this one, and how difficult was it to find the hogs?? You were obviously exceptionally lucky, your boar was surely above average size (even for this enclosure)??

Taken in what month?? Here in Europe, boars from a certain age are not edible if taken in the rut. What about this one?? Did you butcher (or just skin and quarter) him on-site??

Thanks for your time in advance. Fabulous pig!

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Mike -- take a look at their website -- www.bearmountainquest.com

You are right that you wouldn't want to eat that monster. Generally they start tasting gamey over 200-lbs or so.

It is an impressive boar!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
Overkill, did the guys you hunted with provide a guide, or was it a "DIY" affair??

Did you spot and stalk (track?) this one, and how difficult was it to find the hogs?? You were obviously exceptionally lucky, your boar was surely above average size (even for this enclosure)??

Taken in what month?? Here in Europe, boars from a certain age are not edible if taken in the rut. What about this one?? Did you butcher (or just skin and quarter) him on-site??

Thanks for your time in advance. Fabulous pig!

- mike

Mike,
It is a fully guided setup with all the meat fully cut, wrapped and frozen in a day. I shot him just last week. I saw many nice ones before & after I took this guy. That's one of he reasons I picked this place was for their good animals and I wanted a snow hunt. Not a brown weather hunt.
I have already cooked several of the cuts and he's not at all gamey tasting. He's very good. He better be. I have about 200lbs of him in the freezer Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
600 -- I am shocked that he is not gamey at that size! Eeker I contacted the outfitter and they are sending me literature. 600 -- PM on the way!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
600 -- I am shocked that he is not gamey at that size! Eeker I contacted the outfitter and they are sending me literature. 600 -- PM on the way!

Me to. I have tried some of it but not a lot yet so we'll see

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on an absolutely stunning animal!

Please check your PM box when you have a moment, you should have a message from me.

Posts: 130 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote