Find
Notify
Tools

Weapon light for night hog hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Warhawk
posted
Any suggestions for a weapon mounted light for night time hog hunting in Texas? I would probably mount it to my AR-15, needs to have a red lens cover.

Posts: 59 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HEH, get your wife to carry a motorcycle battery in a backpack, and use a handheld million candlepower spotlight!! DAMMIT WOMAN! youre walkin too damn slow!!

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
Surefire makes some really nice mountable lights. I have one on my Benelli Tactical and really enjoy it.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Surefire as Jeff said.They aint cheap and eat batteries,but they are the best and brightest!

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 12v varmint light that clips on the tube of any 1" scope. I use a 12v gel-cell battery that I carry in an army 2-qt canteen cover when I walk the roads at night stalking. Works great--and they are about $75-85 from Cabelas

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the procedure for this "night stalking? Do you run the light constantly, or mostly walk in the dark and occasionally flip it on?

One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
I would guess that most hunters wait over a feeder or known area of activity.Some ride around known areas.If you do the on and off keep your weak eye closed to preserve its night vision.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My suggestion would be a full moon night and a Schmidt &Bender. Like shooting at high noon.
Steve

Posts: 81 | Location: nebr. usa | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ANY of the Sure-Fire products will work.
They are well worth the money.
http://www.surefire.com

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
Warhawk,
Thunder ranch urban rifle ilumination kit.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Try http://www.burnhambrothers.com for a nice selection of lights, batteries, chargers and red filters.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9406 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarkL:
What is the procedure for this "night stalking? Do you run the light constantly, or mostly walk in the dark and occasionally flip it on?

The soil on the ranch is light colored and if you have a bit of moon, you can see the pigs in the roads quite well (not so the rattlesnakes). I walk slowly, upwind, and shine the light intermittently above the hogs' eye level as if you hit them suddenly in the eye at close range they often spook. When I find the one I want, I check for snakes, assume a sitting or kneeling position, and put the crosshairs on the "aiming spot" which is the hog's eye.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Back in the old days when the highest tech thing out there was a mag light, we used to bungee strap a 4-6 D cell light to a rifle.

If you feel handy, buy a 30 watt 12V outdoor spotlight bulb from wal mart and make a PVC fitting housing for it and use a small lead acid battery, I got one from an old UPS power supply.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote