Notify
Tools

Pig hunting in the North East
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted
Hello,

I hunted pigs in CA when I lived out there. I shot a lot of them, a few were real big but I never got one worth mounting with some teeth.

I have 2 younger brothers that are coming around to hunting. I AM LOOKING FOR A PLACE IN
NY STATE, VERMONT, CT or anywhere near the tristate area that we can do some pig hunting. I know I am limiting myself to preserves. I don't care. If anyone has hunted somewhere in the New England/Tri State area that would fit the bill pleas give me some info.

THANKS

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Ihave been hunting withetails in Pennsylvania ,near Harrisburg ,there in the mountais i saw a wolf when i asked they told me that it was released by the game commision to kill hogs so there must be hogs there then i read that in all the Appalachians are boars .JUAN

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6367 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Juan ,released a wolf ? There are coyotes throughout the NE and they are much larger than those in the SW. 60-75 lbs is not unusual.There were two hunting preserves in north central PA ,one in VT and IIRC one in central NY also for pigs..I don't remember the names.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wild Hill Preserve in Fairlee VT. Price is sort of reasonable, and treatment is top drawer. They have a website for which you can google if you wish.
My suggestion would be to phone them, as Bill or Bobbi are both sort of slow answering e-mail. For the record, I will be there in Sept. for the third time.

I learned everything I will ever need to know about "Islam" on Sept. 11th, 2001

Posts: 106 | Location: Mid_Hudson Valley of New York | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wildpork
posted Hide Post
Juan,
That was a coyote we saw! A big one but a coyote.

Posts: 106 | Location: the great northeast | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
There are NO wolves or mountain lions in NY or vermont, etc. Lots of urban legends.

The coyotes do get very big though. I think all hog hunting in the areas you mentioned will be on preserves of some type.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2590 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
I hunted at Wild Hill 3 times myself. I liked it a lot. It's big enough to hunt and not see fence all day long. I was under the impression Wild Hill was around 1000 acres.
I hunted 3 times at Whispering hollows in Pa. on the Md. border. We're going back this year before Christmas for another round of pure fun.
Stay away from the few preserves on the NY PA borders as they are small and you'll see the fence any direction you look.
Now, granted you are on a high fence area. Bring a bow, handgun or muzzle loader if you think it's less than sporting. But have a good time.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hikerbum, VT has done DNA tests on scat showing there are moutain lions there and I have talked to someone there who has seen them.NJ has introduced them to help with deer over population.NY and PA have denied lions until last year when someone took a photo of one on their porch in NY. Then the DEC admitted there were lions in the southern tier and adjoining areas of PA.I also know someone in Elk Co who has seen one !!...Coyotes are everywhere in the NE and into Canada .The largest coyote I heard of was one taken in Ohio that weighed 90 lbs !!! Eeker

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
mete, that porch picture was actually sent to me 3 years ago and it has been confimred that it is from a Western state in the early 90's. I have heard speakers from the DEC tell large groups that although there in no season for moutnain lion in NY, they would gladly let anyone shoot one if it is real. They do say that sometimes ididotic people who get them as exotic pets do occasioanlly let them loose because they cannot handle them anymore. they are then found half starved to death someplace because they do not know how to hunt and had been de clawed. I stand by my urban legend position.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2590 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hadn't heard that part of the porch picture ! That's what happens with the internet ! They certainly had them in the old days. I live 400 yds from a Panther Creek [PA] and there is a Panther Rock Creek here in Sullivan Co [NY]

one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
The link posted below from the NYS DEC says there has never been a confirmed sighting of a Cougar in NY. The DEC has never introduced Cougar in NY either.

NYS DEC

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote