New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pigs in Florida
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Since I have to spend December until May here every year and shooting Iguanas off my back porch is frowned upon by the golfers, I was wondering if any of you guys had experience/suggestions for a pig hunting "safari" down here.
Any suggestions on guides/outfitters most appreciated.
The only centerfire I bring down here from WY to the end of US 1, is an AR in 223. Will that do the job or do I have an excuse to buy another rifle ?
Thanks much!

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy another rifle.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why ? You an experience pig hunter ? Opinions seem to vary a lot.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Like any and every animal, placement is everything. That said, I like more margin of error than what a .22 caliber rifle has to offer. Head shots are good, but hogs are perpetual motion machines and that shot doesn't necessarily offer itself easily. If you encounter a largish boar (200-lbs +), they will often come equipped with a heavy gristle plate requiring a premium bullet, if you plan on shooting the animal through the boilerroom.

Is a larger caliber necessary? No, but I personally prefer to make bigger holes, and I like two holes, putting a premium on penetration.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have lost a total of two pigs out of probably fifty or so that I have shot, and that was with a .270 Winchester and Speer 130-grain Grand Slams.

One shot was apparently right behind the shoulder, which I understand now is too far back. The sow I lost bled literally buckets of blood for about 30 yards and it inexplicably dried up.

The boar was shot right at dark. I don't know exactly where I hit him, but he dropped, dog-paddled for a few seconds, regained his legs and hit the brush. A long sliver of bright blood was all we found.

Hogs are tough, and any shot other than in the head risks losing game, in my opinion, especially if heavy brush is close. Pigs often have a layer of fat over the muscle and just inside the skin. I believe the fat somehow seals the exit hole and the bleeding slows considerably if it doesn't stop completely.

And we all know entrance holes don't bleed much, if they bleed at all.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pigs often have a layer of fat over the muscle and just inside the skin. I believe the fat somehow seals the exit hole and the bleeding slows considerably if it doesn't stop completely.

A friend of mine likes to joke that pigs are self-sealing, run flat animals. Based on my experience, I'd say he might be right.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW,

I've killed them with as little as a 17 HMR.
Here is one dusted at say 35 yds out of a ground blind. Triple duece, 45 gr. TSX, and a head shot.

However, I prefer using a minimum of 26 caliber and a bullet such as an Accubond. Puts a hole going in and one going out sufficient to leave a decent blood trail (once again dependant on shot placement) should your quarry not be DRT. My 325 WSM has become my favorite hog thumper. The 180 grain Nosler ballistic tips have done the job in the past but I just put in a store of 200 gr. accubonds loaded to +/- 2,800 fps.

I also try to place a bullet about two inches below the ear on a line between the ear and shoulder.

The hoglet above was shot with a 270 Win., 130 Nosler Ballistic Tip. The POI is approximately at the black dot.

Breaks the spine, the animal drops and paddles. To me that is the money shot. Don't always happen as these beasties are constantly moving.

Here is another pix of one that the described shot placement was accomplished. Only had to use a knife to remove the head as the vertebrae was severed.

I'd say, if for no other reason that to own another rifle you should go up a notch or two. In fact a 45-70 with 400 gr. Speers over 53 gr. of IMR-3031 work just fine. You can eat right up to the bullet hole with that combo.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LWD:
quote:
Pigs often have a layer of fat over the muscle and just inside the skin. I believe the fat somehow seals the exit hole and the bleeding slows considerably if it doesn't stop completely.

A friend of mine likes to joke that pigs are self-sealing, run flat animals. Based on my experience, I'd say he might be right.

LWD

That is so true! I shot one two years ago with my .416 (I don't like any of my firearms collecting dust in the safe for very long so I take them out and use them). Placement was good and there was NO blood on the ground -- 300 grain TSX at approximately 2,900 fps.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:

I also try to place a bullet about two inches below the ear on a line between the ear and shoulder.

Ever since adapting to this shot, ALL of my pigs have dropped dead instantly, no more boiler shots as I hate tracking game.

"A Lone Hunter is the Best Hunter..."

Posts: 426 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that you know what you can or cant shoot a hog with, I'll recommend that Capt. Mark (board member) offers a true "safari style" hog hunt.
He operates Everglades Adventures.
www.huntsflorida.com
I am not affiliated in any way with Everglades Adventures except that I am a satisfied customer.

quote:
Originally posted by 45-70 shooter:
Since I have to spend December until May here every year and shooting Iguanas off my back porch is frowned upon by the golfers, I was wondering if any of you guys had experience/suggestions for a pig hunting "safari" down here.
The only centerfire I bring down here from WY to the end of US 1, is an AR in 223. Will that do the job or do I have an excuse to buy another rifle ?
Thanks much!

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45-70 shooter:
Thanks much!
anything from a knife to a magnum will work lawrence if you know what your doing.

Posts: 47 | Location: TX | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rootkiller,

Looks like Somebody's been havin' fun!

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice and excellent photos.
I hope I'll be able to put together a hunt with what I have learned from those who have hunted pigs.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
GREAT PHOTOS CONGRATULATIONS

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote