New
Find
Notify
Tools

South Texas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been looking for a place to hunt/spend some of my retirement time on. I have noticed a few places near the Texas/Mexican border, near Lake Amistad. Is it really too dangerous with the current situation in Mexico with the drug wars? These small plots seem so remote, so I dont think that there would be any trouble there. Any Texans have some thoughts on this?

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live about 150 miles from Lake Amistad right on the border and won't go fishing there anymore. For sure the area and the lake are totally unsafe after dark. You'd probably be O.K. in town or fishing the American side of the lake in daylight hours, but I emphasize the word probably. Also the risk of kidnapping is higher than in most other areas.
Lots of big rattlesnakes also, I wouldn't go out in the brush without snake boots and keep an eye out for them in the flooded brush when fishing. They swim and will climb up in the trees. I've seen rattlesnakes down here so big that you wouldn't believe me if I told you.
Free hunting in Texas is a thing of the past. Even reasonable fees are a thing of the past. Although hunting can be super if you have the money to spend.
There are quite a few camp grounds and winter texan recreational parks in the eastern Rio Grande Valley, some even have units for rent. I would suggest not buying until you get a good feel for the area. Winter time is a great time for a visit. Feel free to contact me if you need more info.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tarawa,
You have a PM.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been looking for a place to hunt/spend some of my retirement time on. I have noticed a few places near the Texas/Mexican border, near Lake Amistad. Is it really too dangerous with the current situation in Mexico with the drug wars? These small plots seem so remote, so I dont think that there would be any trouble there. Any Texans have some thoughts on this?

Stay away. Far away. That they are remote makes them much more dangerous. Why the situation on the border doesn't get more attention, I don't know. I grew up going to the beach at South Padre Island. Today, we go to the Florida panhandle because I don't want to be in Brownsville with my wife and children.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live here and don't think that it's that bad. There are problems with druggies all over the U.S. I used to hunt, guide and fish in Mexico but I don't cross the border anymore, and I'm careful about the time and places that I go on the U.S. side. I know there are some very bad areas in Houston, Dallas and Fort Worth are probably just as bad.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Tarawa, any place rural within 40 miles of the Rio Grande River is not a safe place to hunt and/or camp!

I was born in Texas in the late 1930s when one could hunt free on anyone’s land and would be safe camping on the side of the highway sleeping in the open bed of a pickup. As others have said “Those days are gone in Texas!”

I wouldn’t hunt much farther South than San Antonio and would prefer North of Austin. The fact is the border with Mexico is not even safe in most cities especially for someone with out of state plates on their vehicle!

Being a native Texan, it pains me to say these things about my state, but it is true along the border with Mexico from the Gulf of Mexico, to the Pacific Ocean thanks to our do-nothing government, abandoning our ranchers along the border, and our president siding with Mexico against our own people. The fact is it will not get better in my life time I fear.

........................................................................... CRYBABY

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is why I like this forum......honest opinions.....Thanks all!
Mac,
when are you having another double gun hog hunt?

Life Is For Service
DRSS

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tarawa:
That is why I like this forum......honest opinions.....Thanks all!
Mac,
when are you having another double gun hog hunt?

We normally have a double rifle hog hunt in Jan, after the DSC show in Dallas. However the drought in Texas has closed a lot of ranches to hunting for hogs because the cattle and hogs are congrated on the water making it unsafe to shoot hogs among the cattle. In the case of the 4K where we usually hunt, most of the water is on Brady creek where the bush is very thick. Shooting at hogs where you cant see the cattle is a problem. We weren't able to hunt 4K last year either.

It seems by the time I get to hunt again my shoulder will have to reseason to the recoil og my doubles!

When we get one going I'll let you know, so maybe you can come over!

577NE B. Searcy

Hogs taken in one day at 4K

Mark (Nitro 400 Express) shooting a 450/400 3"

.................................................................. BOOM.................. holycow

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac
I would love to get to Texas for a hunt. Just let me know.

Life Is For Service
DRSS

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I'll let you know if we get anything going! You will enjoy hunting and camping with the DRSS members who hunt in Texas every year!

....................................................................... old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was born and raised in Brownsville and still have a deer lease within probably 10 miles of the Border. Was there over Thanksgiving and found a lot of hunan tracks headed north -- big groups of up to 25 or so. That is a bit of a concern.

Been practicing law in Houston for 25 years, but plan on moving back home soon. Is it safe? Relatively, if you are used to traveling in third-world countries -- same rules apply. Only difference is I get to go armed in South Texas and I wouldn't go anywhere there unarmed. That said, I carry always, and feel perfectly safe, but it's home to me.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread is so sad. What is this country coming to?

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CBNHNTR
posted Hide Post
I hunt a large ranch just north of Laredo. Last few years everyone carries a sidearm including the guides and cook. I have heard that things are quieter this past year though.

Posts: 162 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CBN, I've heard that too, but those guys are still lurking in the shadows so my guards still up. I always make sure that I stay well armed also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I work in the oilfield and a lot of my work is right along the border mostly about 45-50 miles north of Laredo on the Brisco and Galvan ranches. I carry two handguns and a AR15 with me at all times.We never stop on old mines rd, if you have a flat and are alone you drive on the rim till you get to your location then change it.Last memo we got at work was that if the smugglers formed human chains across the rd to get us to stop, was to run them over.Lots of stuff along the border thats never reported on the news.

Posts: 47 | Location: TX | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, that sound like a bad place to be. Running over people, that is scary. How many have you killed ? Reports here are that the smugglers carry a lot more firepower than an AR 15. How do you drive through 20 guys with AK47s ?

AR is rather range limited as well. What if the bad guy has a 338 Lapua ?

Lots of stuff happens in WY and FL that never makes the news as well. People just vanish in the Everglades and the Rockies every year. As they say: "No body, no crime".

Had this ugly mutt crapping on the Golf Course yesterday, but the pellet rifle was stashed. maybe next time.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
come on down, I'll give you the VIP tour.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45-70 shooter:
Wow, that sound like a bad place to be. Running over people, that is scary. How many have you killed ? Reports here are that the smugglers carry a lot more firepower than an AR 15. How do you drive through 20 guys with AK47s ?

AR is rather range limited as well. What if the bad guy has a 338 Lapua ?

Lots of stuff happens in WY and FL that never makes the news as well. People just vanish in the Everglades and the Rockies every year. As they say: "No body, no crime".

Had this ugly mutt crapping on the Golf Course yesterday, but the pellet rifle was stashed. maybe next time.

looks like petey is leaving a larry root on the golf course.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Stop immediately. I will not tolerate this constant bickering on this forum. You two are rapidly heading towards the exit. Play nice or take it offline to the PM section.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fl. panhandle (Freeport). Plenty of hogs. Excellent fishing. (fresh or salt).

Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Posts: 947 | Location: NYB | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM to moderator, "rootkiller" on ignore.
Adios.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.45-70 shooter -- It's a ploy. You won't run over anyone. They'll get out of the way when you gun it -- or not. Life's a bitch and then you die.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
. . . Life's a bitch and then you die.

Lavaca I must take issue with this. My daughter Stormy said it best. "Dad, Life is a Virgin! A Bitch is too easy!" Eeker

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been very busy with my work, but so appreciate the responses and concern. Our biggest threat is in the north (Washington DC) at this time. God bless the Great Republic of Texas, the last real stand of of our great nation.

Life Is For Service
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
I'll let you know if we get anything going! You will enjoy hunting and camping with the DRSS members who hunt in Texas every year!

....................................................................... old

whats that white stuff on them hogs?????!!!!!!brrrrrrrr

Life Is For Service
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it Rusty!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read it all and I came away with great knowledge furnished by OTTOMAN.."Cats have nine lives. Which makes them ideal for experimentation".

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote