New
Find
Notify
Tools

December Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here is a picture of a hog we killed in December. He was a 215 lb boar hog that had eluded us for about a year. We knew he was living around the milo field because we had seen him from a distance on numerous occasions and run him with dogs a couple of times but he always managed to escape. In September of '04 we caught up with him but he fought off several of our dogs before we could get to him, leaving them with some friendly reminders of why you have to respect these boar hogs when you're in their territory. We had to end the hunt for the day because we had several dogs out of commission for a little while, not to mention the south texas heat was coming up on us rapidly.

In December '04, we chased another spotted boar out of the brush an into the milo field and within 15 minutes the dogs were bayed. We could tell by the sounds of the barking that it was a big hog that they were being very careful with. Before we could get to them, the hog made a mistake and the dogs caught him. We were surprised when we got to the hog that they had caught this black one that we had been seeing for over a year instead of the spotted one that I saw them run out of the brush. When the hog saw us he shook about 6 dogs loose and came at us before the dogs were able to stop him. Then two of us worked our way around his backside and grabbed his hind legs, enabling us to stick him with a knife behind the shoulder. He put up a good fight and luckily none of our dogs were cut this time other than some small scrapes and nicks.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
Nice pog rattlesnaker, where is your milo field in Dallas?

Im in Dallas as well! Anyways Great pic, great pig and your dog looks like a machine!

Posts: 221 | Location: SEC | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in Dallas but I don't hunt in Dallas. I hunt in south texas where there's just an over abundance of hogs.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote