posted
More pics

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Mike,
GREAT pics!!!

that a 376 down there?

man, with no sand, they get big choompers!!

jeffe

Posts: 38463 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice pics! How heavy was the biggest boar?

Was it difficult to get those waterhole pictures, or is this an unwary group of animals?

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The absolute biggest bodied pig on the island is about 200 pounds. The average is about 100. Polynesian pigs are smaller in stature. They are more streamlined and smaller bodied. You can see they also have longer snouts than your typical hog. They do have great tusks all of which were razor sharp. So sharp you would lay your hand open just running along the side of one. Dont ask me how I know! The waterhole shots were not tough but took me the better part of an afternoon and evening. Because I am shooting the pics from higher up the mountain side they are unaware. The breeze from the ocean carries the scent up and away from them. Also like most animals including people they tend to not look up but rather downhill when checking for danger.

JEffe, No I took the 243! Same configuration as the 376 though. They do have big chompers! They biggest set I took is between 10 and 11 inches long and about 2 inches in diameter. I havent scored them yet but all were good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aloha Mike,

Those are great pics! I was looking forward to your posting them. I give you a lot of credit for using a camera, especially when you have a rifle handy. The only pictures usually taken is after the porkers are down. Good job!

I'll let Hano and Nalei know that their mugs are now seen all over the world.

Geoff

Posts: 619 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words Geoff. I wanted to get some pics of the animals other than hero shots.

Guys I cant reccomend Geoff or this hunt enough. This hunt is relatively limited to only a couple a year for obvious reasons. If you are interested you should contact my friend Geoff Hashimoto. I may regret making this info public!LOL!

Geoffrey K Hashimoto

375 H & H

5534 Kawaikui Street

Honolulu, Hawaii 96821

cell phone 808-255-5241

fax 808-255-5247

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Mike and I have done this hunt together twice now. Last year we agreed to keep somewhat quiet about it because we were selfish and wanted to keep it secret! I completely agree that Geoff is a great guy to spend time with. Be sure to ply him with scotch until he tells you some great stories such as shooting camel dung with Craig Boddington or baboon shooting with the late,great, Willie Hee.

And this hunt is indeed very unique. I took the beach photos that have appeared as I couldn't believe I could stand on such a beach and take photos in either direction of several miles of un-occupied beach.

This is not a hunt for the coddled or those expecting room service. Leave the little lady back at the tourist island unless she is into squatting behind a pile of sand. Think of the accomadations as...."spartan". The hunting vehicles lack such options as brakes. You will get good at shooting pigs as you roll past them, kind of like being a waist gunner on a B-17 You will experience hot barrel shooting. During some "jail break" waterhole scenes, you will have pigs running all around you in all directions while you are busy loading your rifle. And if you want even faster action, sit next to a waterhole in the dark, await a suitable number of pigs to come in, then get ready to shoot when they turn the light on.

Think of it as a prarrie dog shoot only with a beach.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the commercial plug. I just got the report from the local group that went over to Niihau last week. They had as much fun as you did.

In the "pig pen" waterhole next to the mountain, the guys caught about 40 porkers and blocked them in with Hano's truck. Dennis who works for me directed traffic from the mound while the rest moved in to slaughter. Tom, a heavy set guy was attacked by a small 80 lb. boar from behind. Fortunately, Dennis yelled and alerted Tom in time. Tom did a fast two step, the pig missed his legs by inches. Tom was so upset that he emptied his 44 mag. into the pig on the second charge.

I recall seeing previous forum discussions on whether pigs charge or are just trying to run and happen to be going in your direction. Let's start that topic again. I'm sure that there will be many interesting stories forum members will share.

Posts: 619 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Matt, It is about time you chimed in. Thanks for the photos. I have a disk to send you as well. Have you talked to Mike Leonard since you got back? Hope he enjoyed himself as much as we did. That last boar I took had better tusks than I thought. I put the tape on them over 10 inches per side and 2 inchs in circumference. I havent scored the others yet as I havent got them out of the jaw bone. I want to keep the jaw intact to set on a table so am taking my time. I think we should start looking into doing the Willie Hee memorial donkey shoot. I bet we could get Geoff out of Hawaii for that one.

You hear that Geoff?

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
We all seem to be on-line at the same time. 2005 will probably be my year of the dove (or pigeon) as I want to do a South American shoot'em up. But, I'd make a trip to the credit union to finance a spot at the "1st Annual Willy Hee Memorial _______ (something) Shoot".

For the rest of you, Willy Hee was a pal of Geoff's that gave me advice on my first cull shoot (Australian donkey shoot). Suffice it to say he enjoyed wearing out guns through use on live targets. And was exceptionally good at it.

And I think Willy had the right idea. I hope when I cross over the river somebody inspects my guns and says "yeah, they were nice guns but geez...they all got considerable throat erosion and the finish is wore off of them from use".

I sure hope so.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hear you Mike, count me in. Thanks for the tribute to Willie as one of the world's greatest killers.

To you Mike, "happiness is a warm gun". To Willie, "a hot gun was orgasmic" .

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Great photos, guys. I want to go sometime and give this a whirl.

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote