New
Find
Notify
Tools

7-08 bullet selection
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm considering taking my new Savage Scout rifle in 7-08 hog hunting ( I seem to take a different rifle each trip ). One thing I have learned in hog hunting is that bullet construction makes a difference.

So far I've just been doing informal can-bouncing with it using 139 HornadySP. While this is quite accurate, I suspect that the bullet might be a bit soft. Where I hunt the boars often are 250lb. and are usually taken close-in, within twenty yards. I prefer heart-lung shots, so this makes a difference as well.

Any experiences and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent results on hogs with the 165 Trophy Bonded Bearclaw in my 308.
The TBBC penetrates, makes a big hole but does not blood shot a lot of meat.
The North Fork should be a good choice too.
In the 7MM-08 a 150/160 grain should be about perfect.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had great results using little 130gr Barnes XLC bullets from my Remington 700 ADL in .270 win. Not sure if there is a factory
7-08 load but I don't think you can go wrong with x bullets!

Worked on this 250 pound boar:

Posts: 161 | Location: La Honda, California | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad Starcevich
posted Hide Post
Sean, That is a nice boar. Where did that hunt take place?
Best, Starcharvski.

Posts: 135 | Location: St. Charles, IL USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang...that is a nice tusker.

I handload sothe options are open . If the Barnes offering worked that well in the 270 it, or something even a tad heavier, should do well in the 7-08.

Thanks

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Bob,
You're right, the Hornady isn't the best choice for all situations (especially for pigs the size you're talking about). Over the long run you'll be much happier with Nosler Partitions, Barnes X, Trophy Bonded, Swift A-Frame, Failsafe... just to name the some of the most common quality game bullets. (So far I haven't been real impressed with the bonded/plastic tipped bullets but my mental jury is still cross-examining witnesses).

Brad,
Sean took that boar with me on the Central Coast of CA. He made a great shot on a really fun stalk. Don't let the blood stain a bit far back fool you. The pig was quartering and it didn't go over 25 yards after the shot. That kind of penetration is what you use the premium bullets for... so you can take whatever angle shot is presented.

Great hunting with great hunters,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bob, I just read the RifleShooter article about that rifle and it got me thinking about a 7-08 too. Seems like a great choice for that rifle.

Like Kyler said I took that one hunting with him. My first big game animal! I've since taken two more pigs with him and a couple deer. Here is the other side of the same pig.

Posts: 161 | Location: La Honda, California | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be ordering some Partitions, Barnes, etc. to work up some loads. The more I shoot this rifle the more I like it. So, now, does my buddy who is panting to borrow it for our fall hunt. Either way it looks like it will be bloodied this fall.

Thanks for the good info and for sharing the pics. Makes me want to head for the woods now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i have had good results with a 7x57 & 139 hornadys and a 7 rem mag with 160 speer flat bases.. i had a very bad experience with 140 bal. tips in the 7x57..i try to shoot my hogs in the head..

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I used 140 gr balistic tips for years on deer and it worked great. Would not stop a hog with a shoulder shot. Only way that I got some pork was with head shots. I started carrying larger guns. My son now carries a 7MM08 and I am considering using 160 gr hornadys over Win 760 powder for my 12 yr old. I have been using the 160 in my 7 Mag and hogs don't get away.

Posts: 21 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've just been contemplating the same thing. Most of the pigs that I shoot are meat pigs and I make ear/eye shots. I use 140 SSTs and BTs. I've never had a problem but I can choose my shots and avoid the shoulder. I'm going to a new place in two weeks where I don't realy know the conditions. They want us to kill several, even if we don't want the bigger ones. They will give them to the help. I'll also have a chance at axis does and corsican culls/ewes. I have just about decided on 160 GKs because they should be heavy enough to take any pig through the shoulder, if I must, yet soft enough to open on 125lb deer/sheep. I know that I could use 140-150 Partitions, but I can use the leftover GKs to practice with. capt david troll

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I use my 7mm-08 for all of my hunting here in Texas except for predator calling. The 140 gr. Partitions work great. This past season I started using the Barnes 140 gr. TSX. They do a great job on hogs as well.

Good Hunting,

Bob

Here is the latest taken with the TSX.

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally I always opt for "heavy for caliber" bullets. Pick a good tough bullet and you can take any shot at any angle with confidence. The Barnes TSX seems to get fantastic reports from all I've heard. This year I'm going to begin working with the 168gr TSX for my '06 after hearing so many reports on it.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote