THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HOG HUNTING FORUM

Moderators: Whitworth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Perfect shot placement but near disaster anyway!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Maybe this should be in the archery section but I wanted to share a bit about this hunt for more then the narrow audiance of the archers here. This was a kind of a bizzare outcome which had me baffled until I opened up this hog.

Everything started out normal except climbing out of my sleeping bag to see the 14 deg temp on my trucks display panel. I was worried my bow limbs would crack when I drew it back! I almost always travel with my "block" target to shoot a few times before I leave to hunt. Today that was a good idea to see just how I was going to be able to draw my bow with a stocking hat, hood, bulky parka etc. The first few shots were not great, glad I had the foresight to test things first. With a few adjustments of clothing I was dealdy for 25-30 yards which was as much as I would need for this hunt.

The previous night I rode my Rokon out to the water hole and spread 25 pounds of corn within 15-25 yards of my pathetic little blind. I wanted the hogs that came to water to come back and check in the morning while I was hiding there. I ranged the area and stacked a few boulders at the logical distances they would be if any showed up.

So I ride across the desert about 2 miles and from just above the water about 300-400 yards out I see two hogs at the water. So far so good the plan seemed like a good idea. I arrived at the site and spread as much corn as I had left from the original 6 dollar investment of the 50 pound sack.I hid the Rokon in the bush about 100 yards away and snuck into my blind.

My hands were frozen and my eyes watering from the wind in my face. My blind was perfect with the wind in my face and the ranges well marked. About 7AM the sum was coming up and I was starting to get warmer. Unfortunately the sun was right exactly in my eyes. It's always something with this hunting business! About then a very tiny baby hog not much bigger then a rabbit came to the water. It was so close to me I could have grabbed him at one point. While watching him others started to wander around but must have sensed I was there. They would come in but bolt and bark or woof alerting all other hogs and wildlife. Eventually two sows with young came and ate which is always good because they make the others following later more comfortable. Then in comes a big dude. He hangs up at the 30 yard distance though. I could take him from there but I feel he will eventually work closer for the corn.

Sure enough a 1/2 hour goes by and he is now just beyond the 22 yard rock. When I draw the bow with the awkward bulky clothing the sow sees me and barks and stares at me. The boar never minds the sow and eats. He move broadside at about 24 yards and I release hitting him just perfect behind the elbow and just slightly higher. The arrow hits the sage beyond him so I know I will have a good blood trail.

I slowly walk over to get my arrow which has no blood on it and loos as if it was not even shot. The whole thing is just like new. However I could smell it and tell it stunk like a pig and was a bit moist. No blood on the ground either? Hmmmmmm I wait about 20 minutes and wander very slowly the direction he ran. Then I see blood fully 30 yards from where he was hit. Then BLOOD and MORE BLOOD like I have never seen before. It seemed like this was a joke! How could this much blood come from one animal? The sage was red, the ground was red with pools of blood. I followed about 80 more yards and heard grunting so I froze, half expecting a charge. I scanned the bush but nothing........ I looked the direction of the blood and then at my watch. It's been a 1/2 hour now since the shot. I creap slowly towards the sound and the continuing blood trail. There is the boar standing broadside at 20 yards but I can only see his noggin from the back. Do I shoot again and brain him? ......Then he turns to see me and falls down. Wow what luck, but he is still kinda alive believe it or not. I find a path to get closer behind him and he lays still. I finally am able to grab a back leg and he is kicking a bit but theen goes limp and it's over.

I stand stunned at the shot placement, the distance travelled and the length of time he remained alive. This turns out to make sense but with very unusual circumstances. Here are the photos to see what you think.

If I could have placed this arrow better I sure don't know how. Shooting 24 yards with a 70 lb Matthews legacy. The slick trick 125 grain broadheads on a carbon arrow it blew through and should have taken out all the good stuff right?

Look at these bizzare tiny lungs! This is both lungs and they are fully 75% smaller then a normal hog would have. These are coyote sized lungs. Now look at the heart. thank goodness I used a 4 blade broadhead. All I got with this shot was that slice in the bottom of the heart. Still good but think about the shot placement and look at the minimal damage. An inch to the rear and this hog was gone for ever!

Here is a size perspective photo. He was a big hog but with such a tiny little kill zone. Sometimes we can do everything right and still not get the game. Looking at the shot placement I would be very content with that on any animal for the rest of my life. Yet it was only 1" from disaster, and the loss of this hog. Wierd little lungs eh!

Packed and ready to go

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JJ,

Thanks for the story and the breakdown of what almost went wrong.

My curiosity is killing me. Where were you hunting?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn, those lungs are small for that size hog, good thing you nicked the heart,your set up is the same as my buddy's and its deadly on deer and hogs, you should break down and get the trailer for your Rokon,

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote