New
Find
Notify
Tools

hogs with worms
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
anyone ever find their hogs full of ringworms?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never seen ringworm on a hog but probably every hog I've killed or seen butchered in Florida had intestinal worms.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yeah that's what I meant. I killed one recently that seemed in good health an weighed on my scale 156# but he had those worms bad. I butchered him up but everytime I go to put a pc on the barbie I just can't get myself to do it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be careful, when in doubt about the condition of the meat, don't eat it. THese are not likely ring worms but pin or hook worms - both will be killed during the cooking process but no one knows for sure what is on the pins or hooks.

Posts: 10202 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
trashman comes this afternoon, he can have it

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't take a chance either. I've never seen worms in hogs, but perhaps I'm not looking closely enough. I guess ignorance is bliss....

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did wonder what those spots on the liver were from, I've seen them on rabbits too. It's gone now let the seagulls an crows have it at the dump!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Almost all animals have intestinal worms, that is no reason to toss perfectly good meat...Pork should always be cooked well done....Beef, Poltry and fish that are raised domesticly havd worms, and are treated for the worms every six months or so, but you never kill them all...If you have a problem with that then you better start eating lettuce and spinach....

None of these worm get into the meat except for a very few and they are killed by proper cooking and pretty much contained to pork.....

I would however be very concerned about handling a rabbit that has liver spots, that a sign of Tularemia, and that stuff is bad...wash hands immediately and toss the rabbit in a fire.

Posts: 41880 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote