New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: hunt hogs with a .357 mag??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have several friends who chase hogs with dogs and they love to use the 357 in a revolver due to the compact power it affords. Their shots are 30yds and often much less at still targets. I would definitely use a 158gr as a minimum weight and would think that a jacketed flatpoint or cast bullet rather than a HP would penetrate better for all around use.

You will gain a little velocity from the carbine barrel, but the heavier bullet will provide more 'insurance' where it counts.

Good shooting.

Posts: 57 | Location: North Georgia Mtns | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
anyone use a 357 mag for hogs? I have a Marlin 1894 lever gun and I was wondering if anyone uses this gun for pigs? I 'm not after "tropy hogs" but eaters--150lb or less.

I know there a better choices, but if I was out and it was all I had, should I pass on the shot ?? I usually use 158 grain jsp's factory ammo at 50 yards or less...

anyone use this caliber??

Dave

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Let's start with assuming that you are a good pistolero!!!

It is a great round for hunting hogs, especially the clas syou are talking about. remember, the 3-5-7 was considered the hammer of thor for 30 years

jeffe

Posts: 38510 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with it. I might reconsider my choice of bullets. Many jsp are designed for humans, not game. They'll work good on lung shots but might not do the job on a bigger hogs shoulder (which is easy enough to hit, even when you're trying for the lungs). Not many people note that shooting a black hog,which is often moving, against a dark background late in the evening is not an exact science. You need to use bullets that will handle a less than perfect shot placement.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about going after the same weight hogs myself with the magnum only I'd thought I'd try 125 gr jsps, just because I shoot them the best.

Posts: 20 | Location: Warsaw, IN | Registered: 16 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave, I have had a Marlin 1894 in 357 for about 15 years. I usually load a hard cast 158 gr. swc gas check at around 1700 fps. Last spring myself and a buddy put a boat in the Wichita River and camped out. As every ounce of weight was critical (the Wichita River is rather shallow) I grabbed the Marlin due to its light weight, compact size, and overall handiness. We camped out and fished, had a great time. As we returned we saw a sow (about 150 lb.) and several piggies (around 40-50 lb.) drinking at the waters edge. We ran the boat ashore and followed the piggies into a small meadow. We wanted momma but couldn't find her. On our way back to the boat we saw a piggy hiding in the tall grass. My hunting partner was in the lead and I passed him my carbine. The bullet struck the pig in the ear and it never knew what hit him, range about 20 yards. Pigs seemed to come out of the ground at the shot, I asked George for the carbine back so I could have a shot. I took a shot at a nice size porker running, but didn't drop it. We searched for it until dark and had to leave.
The 357 carbine will work in my opinion, if you are careful about shot placement, the bullet you use, and the range at which you take your shots. As stated, most hollowpoint bullet are too fragile for hunting purposes, I suggest a hard cast bullet or one of the new hunting bullets. I saw some 180 grain hunting rounds, they looked like they might work nice. I definitely wouldn't use a 125 grain HP for shooting anything other than humans, it has proven quite capable at that.
Good luck and good shooting,
Eterry

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Were I to use a .357 for hogs it would only be with a 180 gr. hardcast bullet.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
.....I've used my 4 5/8" Blackhawk a time or two, but the range was nil, we hunt Palmetto thickets. The Federal hardcast 180's work nicely. Usually that round wakes two rather nice holes.

Posts: 10 | Location: South Georgia, Newfoundland | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I carry a 2-3/4" M66 loaded with 180 Gr. cast LBT's as a back-up gun when hunting. I haven't had to use it on a hog yet, but would have confidence in it if the need ever arose.

Posts: 100 | Location: Lubbock, TX | Registered: 15 April 2003Reply With Quote