New
Find
Notify
Tools

well, I did it
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I went and booked a hunt for the end of Sept this year at the Miles Ranch in Nebraska. Now I just have to decide what rifle to bring.....decisions, decisions.....

I'm leaning towards the 45-70 with 405 gr cast bullets. It's been shooting well so far, and I think the iron sights will be better for the spot and stalk type of hunting they do. I'll be sure to post a report this fall when I wrap it all up! This will be my first 'guided' sort of hunt. I usually take care of everything on my own, so we'll have to see how I do with the whole deal. Thanks again for the tips here. I really like this hog hunting group. maxman

Posts: 337 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
maxman
Refresh our memory, which 45/70 do you have?

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Currently, I have a Handi-rifle from NEF. It's been working very well for a few years now, but I think I am going to move up to a Marlin 1895 in the next month or so. I really like the small size and weight of it (though recoil with warm loads gets unpleasant because it only weighs a pinch over 6 pounds). I don't like the stubby guide guns, so I am going to go with a full 22" bbl 1895 model. I handled them both at the gun shop the other day, and once it's up on the shoulder, I can't tell any difference in pointing etc. I just like the longer bbl better.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I like the pistol grip on the regular 1895. I prefer the straight grip on the guide gun, but I want the 22" bbl. I'm sure I will learn to manage with it, though...

I have the feeling that a repeater would be more in line with sight and stalk type of hunts. Even a double rifle would be more useful. Deer hunting from a stand, I haven't felt handicapped at all with just one shot. It's about all you get anyway. But stalking I think would be better suited for a repeater.

Which leads me to my next question. In handling these rifles, I came to the fast conclusion that I don't care for the factory rear sights at all. I was just flipping through my Brownells catalog, and there are quite a few different models of peep/ghost ring/aperture sights for the 1895. Anyone have any recommendations for strength, adjustment, sight picture, etc? maxman

Posts: 337 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have the Marlin 1895, also. I installed the Williams Foolproof. There are two holes on the side of the receiver for mounting the sight. I also had to change the front sight. Use loctite or something else on the screws for the sight, they will come loose. There are several apertures available for the rear sight, I use the .125 twilight. You also have seversl options in the front sights, fiber-optic,beads, posts.

Posts: 3 | Location: Tidewater , Va. | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bought my repeater, but it's a new handgun, not a rifle. A great deal came along on a Glock 20 (in 10mm Auto) from a guy I know, and I couldn't pass it up. So, now I guess I don't have to worry about what sights to put on a Marlin!

It should make a dandy weapon for close in shots and tracking in thick brush. Plus, it's legal for deer hunting in MN. happy day for me! maxman

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd be real interested in how the hunt goes. I've looked into the Miles ranch myself. I am interested not only in their russian boar hunts, but also in hunting a cow bison. If I go, I'm taking my 1895 GG in .45-70. Currently I am using the 300 gr. winchester nosler partitions, but might step it up a bit [cor-bon, buffalo bore, garret's], if I go after the buff. Let us know as soon as you get back. Good luck!

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote