New
Find
Notify
Tools

BAck In Business
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, been about a month since I caught any in the traps, and we've had two good rains so I figured the blood scent might have been washed away enough to get going again. First trap--all the corn under the big feeder gone, pig tracks in the mud, trail of corn and sweet feed leading to the trap untouched. Dang these pigs are smart! Second trap had a 65-lb sow. Fun watching her in the trap which has a top-hinged door. She would go to the door, grab the wire in her jaws, and lift the door. It would only open about 3-4" before the bottom rail hit her in the shins, and she'd let go. She did it over and over. I'm not so sure she would not have eventually learned how to get out. But, she got lead poisoning--#64 this year. I reset the trap, plus another one about 150 yds away between my feeder/trap and the closest water source.

And, in case you ever wondered how the all-you-can-eat chinese buffet can be so cheap-- Big Grin
http://www.woai.com/news/local...HNUy9SMnqL317hg.cspx

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Nice going. That's some fast-acting lead-poisoning, by the way... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tweny-thirty years ago, the sweet feed and corn would haver been gone and your trap full of pigs. They have really gotten smarter over the years..... kind of like hunting an old whitetail.

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, caught two last week, and two more last night in traps. Bobby's trap/location hasn't produced a thing and they aren't even coming to the feeder, so it got relocated this afternoon. Got it set up and baited in a new location that the pigs have just discovered--because they found a way under the fence which was built last summer. I'll have a couple in it in the AM. Also baited and set the river bottom trap--ground is all torn up all around it and it hasn't been set in couple of months, so it should product as well.

Report to follow

Nothing in the traps--so since I'm headed out Weds AM for an axis hunt and won't be back 'til Saturday, I wired all the traps open. Hogs should be used to the in/out routine by then and I'll reset them.

Did have a small doe in one figure-6 trap, and it was a bit hectic until I got the door open and she took off. No blood I could see, but she has to be battered and bruised. She wouldn't/couldn't jump out--

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"