New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yesterday
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
afternoon after I finished with deer hunters I loaded dogs and went to a place I can hunt during deer season.The dogs started barking in the box so i let 3 out out and they bayed pretty quickly and caught a small boar 100lbs.Loaded dogs and continued down the boundry fence line into the wind we spotter a pig in the creek. The catch dogs had also spotted him so I dumped on him and before I could catch them we had three more caught all about 100lbs.The pigs hit the brush so I pulled up o n the downwind side of another creek and let Quirt and Susie out since they were fresh. I was watching Quirt on the Garmin when they bayed. Let the bulldog,mason and heyena out and before they could get there he broke and went out of hearing. I looked back at the garmin ans noticed Quirt having trouble keeping up so I went to her and she was bleeding profusely from a poke in he left hind leg so I caught her pinched of the poke and carried her back to the truck to get it stopped.When I can see a blood trail it has to be big because I am color blind.I got her stabilized I started looking for the other dogs and since Quirt was the only dog out that had a garmin collar I used the telementry to locate the direction and started out. About 45 minutes had elapsed since he broke and I could hear nothing and I feared the worst. Finally I could hear Susie bayed but nothing so we eased in and one of the boys said he could see the pig and he was a little one.Susie is not very catchy so I called the truck and had them bring the truck up to where they could hear the bay and dump out Lucy. When lucy caught here is what she caught.

After I got into the place I saw that Mason and Heyena was lying down hot and exhaused and wobbling when they tried to stand.I could not see brutus so I had the boy find him on the telementry and he wasn't far. I located him and he was lying dead with a poke to his juglar.I told the boy that said he was a little pig that I would like to catch one that he said was big!!After taking pictures we loaded up and came home but Quirt spent the night in my den next to the wood stove so I could watch her.She ate and drank well thin morning so she is going back to the kennels tonight.

Posts: 157 | Location: Pearsall, Tex. | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about the loss of your dog Brutus. I hope Quirt heals up fast.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about the loss of a dog, Thats a good sized hog

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duckman,

sounds like you (and your pups especially) had a rough but productive day. Sorry for the loss of your pooch.
Perhaps you could enlighten an ignorant city boy as to how long will it take to acquire and train a new catch dog/replacement for the dog you lost, and the approximate cost.

On another note, I hunted hard between the 26th and the 30th of December at two of my honey holes, but the moon worked again' me. Didn't see one hog during that whole time, and I sat out for at least an hour after dark each night. Seven of us in camp and no hogs taken. I think that is a record. I'm heading back next week. Maybe I can wreck some mayhem.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Word got out GW, heck I even heard you were in the brush so I stayed at home......... Big Grin

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swifter 220:
Word got out GW, heck I even heard you were in the brush so I stayed at home......... Big Grin

Ouch! dancing

Happy New Year there Swifter.
Check your PMs
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having only hunted coon hounds I never had to worry about loosing a dog. But from what I see reading these Hog Reports sewing them up and even loosing one is a pretty common thing. Not sure I could handle it.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was the first bulldog I have ever lost to a hog in 25 yrs.Been lucky I guess.I sew them up all the time though.

Posts: 157 | Location: Pearsall, Tex. | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How do you keep them settled down while you sew them up? Sounds like you have done it in the field.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

One of Us
posted Hide Post
most of the time they will just lie there but just in case they don't I carry rompun with me

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss.

That is a very big pig! I lived in Floresville until a few years ago when the job required a move.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
didn't weigh him but I guestimated 250 + When I went to leg him I couldn't catch both legs because they were too big to get my hand around.He pulled the dog and myself around in a circle until the stick boy got there

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very sorry about your loss of Brutus! I know the feeling all to well.

At least you caught him and brutus didnt die in vain.

WOW! You only lost one dog in 25 yrs thats incredible if you ask me. Ive had my whole pack killed by one boar. I have seen 8 dogs killed in one hunt by one boar. Hope I never again see a day like that.

Buddy just lost 5 dogs to a 220 pound boar last week.

Congrats on a nice boar.

Aloha,

Dom

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
SORRY OF YOUR LOSS I HAVE HAD SEVERAL DOGS BADLY INJURED ONE WITH billinthewild of THIS FORUM .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote