New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heading for South Texas Saturday
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Heading down southwest of San Antonio, for a hog/javelina hunt. Temps should be in the 60-70s each day. Can't wait to get out of Indiana for a week. Hope to give the old .45-70 guide gun a workout. Wish me luck!

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LUCK!

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Good luck and welcome to Texas. Lots of hogs throughout South Texas, you shouldn't have any problem.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey Mad Dog,

Welome!! I hope y'all have a great hunt! I will look forward to seeing your report!!

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome - I'm heading south as well and taking a fellow AR member with me. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and we'll all bring home some bacon.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Good luck and take lots of pictures!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rattlesnaker:
Welcome - I'm heading south as well and taking a fellow AR member with me. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and we'll all bring home some bacon.

Since my phone isn't ringing I assume it isn't me!

Just kidding -- my freezers are full of sausage.

Good luck and post a great report when you are back.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
quote:

Since my phone isn't ringing I assume it isn't me!

Just kidding -- my freezers are full of sausage.

Good luck and post a great report when you are back.

If I quit hunting when my freezer was full I'd be done before the year started.

I've been called in to hunt a dog killing boar so hopefully we can find him.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:

If I quit hunting when my freezer was full I'd be done before the year started..

Rub it in -- but I did say freezers plural. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Rattlesnaker:I've been called in to hunt a dog killing boar so hopefully we can find him.

Best of luck -- are you using dogs or night vision or both?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are using both dogs and night vision. We have a 3 day weekend packed full of hunting so we are hunting about 10 different places. Of course some of that hunting just means scanning fields with the night vision looking for things moving in the night. We may even use the night vision to find some hogs and then turn dogs on them. Most of it just depends on the situation.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
hijack

I just realized I kind of hijacked the thread -- apologies.

I look forward to everyone's reports when they get back.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We really hit them well last night. Killed 5 boars with the dogs with biggest being right at 260 and nothing under 150. First time to ever see a hog and NBHunter sticks 4 of them and successfully avoids getting run over by another that we failed to catch. Started hunting at midnight and just finished up at 6am. If the weather holds we are going to have fun with the night vision tonight. Got a few pics especially of one that we had a hair raising experince with. Full stories when we get back

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
We really hit them well last night. Killed 5 boars with the dogs with biggest being right at 260 and nothing under 150. First time to ever see a hog and NBHunter sticks 4 of them and successfully avoids getting run over by another that we failed to catch. Started hunting at midnight and just finished up at 6am. If the weather holds we are going to have fun with the night vision tonight. Got a few pics especially of one that we had a hair raising experince with. Full stories when we get back

Sounds like a great time -- I look forward to the full report and pictures.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I'm miles away from the hunting fields of Texas but always read this forum. This is the AR site I have book marked. I hope you guys mhave lots of fun and waiting on the pictures. I'm also saving up for a night vision scope. I'm hoping to get into Texas this spring or next. Looks like next spring by the tax refund method. Lots of pics and the stories behing them please. Both Mad Dog and Rattlesnaker. See Y'all later. Packrattus

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I used my 45-70 a week or so ago and it is a hog slayer. If you are near Kerrville I can recommend Bernhard's meat processors at the west side of town. Best hog pan sausage I have ever had. And Bill's Barbecue close by. lol
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog:
Heading down southwest of San Antonio, for a hog/javelina hunt. Temps should be in the 60-70s each day. Can't wait to get out of Indiana for a week. Hope to give the old .45-70 guide gun a workout. Wish me luck!

Mad Dog

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Mad Dog -- have a great hunt! Make sure you take lots of pictures! Looking forward to hearing all about it.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote