New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Recommendation?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for a place to hunt hogs in TX.

No high fences, a place to stay that includes meals, and help with skinning and meat processing are the minimum requirements. Minimal charges per hog would be my preference.

There are three hunters who will be flying in, so we can only bring/take what the airlines allow.

It doesn't need to be terribly upscale. The chance to shoot some vermin or fish during the day would be a nice touch.

We'd like a friendly place we where we could become repeat visitors.

It is hard to determine what places are like from the web, so, I thought I would ask here to at least narrow it down. I did like the-big woods.net if anyone knows them.

All pointers are appreciated.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Some of the things it will depend upon are the time frame(s) your group wants to hunt. On the majority of low fence properties the pigs move around a lot and if a particular property is pressured very much the hogs will move away from that property, or if they do stick around they change their movement patterns and may not come in to feeders until 2 or 3 in the morning, or may come in between 11 AM and 1 PM when everyone is gone to lunch and not in the pastures/stands.

Another aspect is other hunting seasons going on at the same time. Range conditions are another aspect, some parts of Texas are or have been in a draught since 2011, so fishing has became an iffy situation or a no go in some areas.

In spite of the various reports about how much of a plague feral hogs are in Texas, they can and do make themselves scarce at times and some times for weeks at a time.

Another aspect concerns trapping activity in the general area. When prices are high at the buyer, everyone is trapping and trappers usually are only able to sell the larger pigs they catch. All the little pigs that are caught are disposed of in one manner or another, but none are released back into the pastures.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Send Crazyhorseconsulting a PM. I had a blast hunting with him.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Try the Nail Ranch. They are spot and stalk hunts not sitting in a deer house waiting. I have hunted there 4-5 times and been successful each time.

http://www.nail-ranch.com/new/

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470Evans:
Try the Nail Ranch. They are spot and stalk hunts not sitting in a deer house waiting. I have hunted there 4-5 times and been successful each time.

So if one guy wants to hunt the Nail for a couple of boars and kills them, he is out $900 plus tips, etc in a day and doesn't even get a hamburger. Damn, I need to re-think my free business model. Roll Eyes

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470Evans:

Yeah, can’t imagine anyone who’d enjoy sitting in a deer house or a tripod

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mighty nice pictures,
thanks for sharing them.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Mighty nice pictures,
thanks for sharing them.
George

+1 tu2 I'd sit on those stands any day.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
crazyhorseconsulting, I sent you a PM. Thanks--Mark

Posts: 126 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote