New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bobby, This One's For YOU!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Planned on going out last night but a meeting interfered, so I just went tonight. Went to the local place where I was invited to "kill 'em all" and it is simple--drive up, open the gate, drive through and shut the gate. Then load the rifle, drive to the creek bottom and park truck where you can shoot off the outside mirror to the feeder 125 yds away. Open the book and read, glancing occasionally at the feeder. Pick up binocs and check out the gobbler--read some more. Pick up binocs and check out the partial albino hen at the feeder (second time I've seen her)--read some more. Getting dark and harder to read--dang!! What's those black things in the field behind the feeder? Hmmm, must be hogs, wait, what's that big black thing under the feeder? Earplugs in, rifle on the rest, safety off, start squeeze--whoops, pig moved. Stand still. Ain't gonna happen with 10 or so pigs competing for corn on the ground. Finally got a good broadside and dropped the hammer.

And, here's the tale of the scale, and no, that isn't me hanging on the scale--next to the largest hog I've shot at 202 lbs. Big old girl.

Had planned on going to the other place as well, but figured I wouldn't be piggish about it so I'll go there tomorrow night. I still need to kill "Bobby's Boar" that I missed last week.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you hit her a couple inches below the ear. Did anything go out the other side. Are you still pushing the 55 gr. Ballistic Tips?

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
AWESOME! Thanks for sharing not only the pictures but the story as well. I thoroughly enjoyed it all. tu2 tu2

That was definitely a "healthy" piggie and should make for some fine table fare.

Now about that big boar... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Nice pig!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was the book any good? Smiler

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Nice work as usual, dustoffer! Congrats! beer

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job Dustoffer.

tu2 tu2

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rickt--first shot was through both shoulders and probably some spine as she was down and could move nothing but ears and head. Second shot in the top of the head with same load. Normally I shoot 'em in the head, but this one was moving so much I just took the anchor shot, and the first shot didn't exit. Two shoulders and a spine is way too much for that bullet, but then I'm not so sure my .25-06 would have exited either. Given the bad rap ballistic tips have gotten I've gotten good performance with them. I've shot two large pigs in the shoulder/lung area and neither went more than 15 yards before piling up. However, I'll still take the brain shot when I can.

Book, what book?

Bobby--the boar's turn is tonight hopefully.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to get in the age old ballistic tip argument, and I have not used them in .223, but I find that in .308, loaded in everything from the .300 Savage up to the .300 Weatherby, that they kill everything I shoot with them DRQ (dead really quick), which includes truck loads of hogs.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 150 gr BTs in my 7 mag because they are the most accurate bullet by far in it--and as long as I don't try to do dumb things, and the range isn't at the end of the barrel, they do well for me also.

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Good work. Good size sow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby--I gave it my best shot last night--sat until midnight, but the hogs--of any size--were no-shows. Did have two 'coons and if they had been there when I left, I would have hammered them. They are eating too much free corn.

Back at it this weekend.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey dustoffer,

Congrats on the nice hog!! Don't you hate those long stalks through heavy brush in 100+ degree temps?? Cool

Congrats,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob--I have memories of a few, but shooting them in the ear generally means a DRT scenario and a drive to the critter for loading.

I'm going to go beyond the feeder next trip to take advantage of the prevailing winds and to get out of the truck and in the "woods". I'll take my scoped rifle plus a 12-ga w/#4 buck so I can handle close or long shots and I hope to whack several of them. Their approach routes/trails are pretty well defined so shouldn't be too hard to get set up.

There is a large pecan tree about 25 yds from the feeder and if the landowner will permit, I'm gonna hang a stand in it and take my bow.