Notify
Tools

22-250 on Javelina
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
i wouldnt hesitate to take on javlinia out to 500 yards with your 22-250 there not very hard to kill it depends how accurate you are...

And I had a hunter 4 or 5 years back put 3 22-250 slugs thru the chest cavity at slightly over 100 yards and we had to finish the critter off with a 41 mag pistol before it would stop moving.

Why shoot at something at long range if it is not neccessary?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you and the weapon are proficient out at 500
why not?

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
if you and the weapon are proficient out at 500
why not?

I guess because after having been in on the killing of the numbers of javelina I have, shooting one past petting range is about as appealing to me as shooting a 5 gallon bucket at 500 yards. Just not my thing.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
i wouldnt hesitate to take on javlinia out to 500 yards with your 22-250 there not very hard to kill it depends how accurate you are...

And I had a hunter 4 or 5 years back put 3 22-250 slugs thru the chest cavity at slightly over 100 yards and we had to finish the critter off with a 41 mag pistol before it would stop moving.

Why shoot at something at long range if it is not neccessary?

if you had to shoot it again at after hitting it at 100 yards then sorry to say either your buddie or his developed loads sucked. iv killed coyotes out beyond 500 yards with a 22-250 and i have also killed larger critters with it as well at 400+ i think your buddie might have to spend more time at the range and possibly looking up the difference between a hunting bullet and a varmint bullet.

3 rounds under 100 yards i have a feeling he was using a varmint possibly sst style bullet.

heck i shot my last moose with a 25-06 and 90 grain bullet that moose was over 1100 pounds died to a heart shot then again i was using a properly constructed bullet with proper bullet placement.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ahhh damn, there's 700 again!!!

Crazyhorse: you'd better just cut n run now.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6019 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JOE MACK
posted Hide Post
The last javelina I killed was at about 10 feet with a .41Magnum. Bullet was a 210gr SWC KT from a RCBS mold. Double lung shot and down. The sausage was tasty with eggs benedict, sourdough toast with home made apple butter, and home fries.

The .22-.250 shouldn't have a problem. Good luck.

JOE MACK aka The .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

I am the punishment of God…
If you had not committed great sins,
God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you. (GENGHIS KHAN)

Posts: 403 | Location: PRK | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
N
quote:
Originally posted by cessna:
I'm thinking of using my 22-250 with 55grn Sierra Game King HPBT on a Javelina hunt. To you who have more experience than I, is this adequate? I understand the need for good shot placement, and am very familiar with this rifle.

No problem. Have taken several with a .223 solid.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
if you had to shoot it again at after hitting it at 100 yards then sorry to say either your buddie or his developed loads sucked.

It wasn't a buddie, it was a client and I didn't ask him what type bullet or load he was using. I figured at the range the shot was being taken the javelina was going to be down at the hit. At the shot the critter stumbled around for a second then seemed to get its act together and started walking away. The second shot lowed it dlown some and it went into a patch of brush and hung up.

I figured it was down, but when we got down to where it was, it went stumbling out on its own power and the hunter finished off with his 41 mag.

The point I was trying to make, was why shoot at something at long range when it isn't neccessary. If it is just because a person wants to, then by all means go for it.

From my experience, others mileage will vary, a person gets involved in the killing of enough critters under enough varied conditions, they will eventually run across something that did not read the textbook, and won't react to a well placed shot the way it is "Supposed" too.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I would add that every animal is a law unto itself. No two animals ever react alike. I've had big ones drop like a light switch was flipped and small ones that took on a heavy ballast of lead before conceding defeat. You never know what you're going to get.....

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
very true no two critters are the same would like to know more about the gear used though

happy hunting.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
very true no two critters are the same would like to know more about the gear used though

Wished I could remember, but that was 4 maybe 5 years back and there have been a few too many hunts/clients and beer to recall very much info about any particular hunt and what someone was using other than maybe the caliber of gun.

I can recall most of the shots I have made overv 40 years, and remember the rifle, the bullet and weight of the bullet and location of the kill, but to say what the powder charge was is beyond my grasp.

I can clearly remember a certain small white tail buck back in 2002 oe 2003, that I put a 250 grain Barnes "X" flat base out of my 375 H&H, thru the chest of and it covered about 60 yards before deciding it was dead.

When I cut into the chest cavity, the whole top third of the heart, arteries and all were gone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Javelinas, pigs, deer, anything shot in the earhole will go straight down....

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Generally true but as stated above, in real world hunting situations nothing is carved in stone.

Here's a Cow Elk I came across while Coyote hunting a few years ago.
She'd been shot in the ass by a hunter and was laying on a compound fractured femer bone.
All I had with was my trusty 17Rem so I put a 25grainer in her ear at about 10yrds.
Had to hit her again in the neck to finish the job.

Just saying.

Field sports are not about targets and scores. Score-keeping is necessary in competitions between humans, unattractive in competitions with weaker adversaries. Constant scores of many to zero do not smell of struggle and chance. They smell of greed.

Posts: 91 | Location: Idaho, Clearwater County | Registered: 07 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No doubt that elk was most likely shot by one of those LONG RANGE shooters with a monster magnum.
Thanks for posting, a good many need to see such screw ups. Just maybe it might soak in if enough of such things are seen.
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6019 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear ya George.

Here's a pic of the original Texas Heart Shot, which it turns out aren't exclusive to Texans.

As you can see, the femer was shattered and the right rear leg was folded up under her.
I was glad I came along when I did, but wish I had a little more gun with me cuz that 25grainer in the ear hole definatly didn't do the job instantly, which is really what I'd hoped to do. Lord knows she'd suffered enough already without me pumping any more non-lethal lead into her.

Field sports are not about targets and scores. Score-keeping is necessary in competitions between humans, unattractive in competitions with weaker adversaries. Constant scores of many to zero do not smell of struggle and chance. They smell of greed.

Posts: 91 | Location: Idaho, Clearwater County | Registered: 07 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using a .220 swift since…. Forever, over thirty years I suppose. I have taken all types of small game, including Javeline without any issues. I have been shooting the same load since I worked it up when I bought the rifle. I use a 53gr. spitzer which has performed flawlessly. The longest shot I have made with it was a coyote at 347 yds. High shoulder, break the back shot and they go down.
Shot placement I feel is the key to ethical hunting, if I don’t like the shot, I don’t pull the trigger. I have been on several blood trailing expeditions helping to find a wounded animal only to find that the coyotes got there first.
I also have been toying with the 55 Barnes TSX for the swift. I have only taken three coyotes with it but I liked what I saw. I believe it will replace the spitzer, when my current supply runs out. The coyotes I have taken with the Barnes acted like they were hit with a truck; it just knocked the fire out of them. One stayed down and the other two got up made a couple of circles and went down, no running.
The 22-250 will do a good job on Javeline if you hit them with a good solid shot. I would stay away from the hollow points and go with a spitzer or other more solid bullet.

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned exactly one 220 Swift, and in many ways wished I had not sold it. For all its hype, the 22-250 will not perform like the Swift does. The Swift is one of those special cartridges that works when similar cartridges don't. JMO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I first got it, I was trying to get it to go Super Sonic. It would. I had a couple of loads that exceeded 4300 FPS. BUT they printed all over the place and I still think a couple have not come back to earth yet. I was just about to make tent stakes out of the rifle when I talked to one of the old timers who told me a load to try. It worked and I tuned it a little and still shoot it.... 3790 fps. You know, a coyote won't be able to tell 3800from 4300 fps.
I have shot it on prairie dogs, coyotes, had it in Mexico several deer seasons and it has been great.
220 Swift, Coyotes, Mexico, think about it.
The hype about the swift, I beleive, is from those who gave up on it because you really have to find the sweet spot. Once you do, you can fill your pocket with five dollar bills.

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never liked the ear hole for a finish up shot.
Don't know why, just don't. Most cases it does lead to the brain. For over 25 yrs I carried a H&R 922 .22lr for finish up and small game besides' just liking the feel of a sidearm for the hell of it deal.
I finished up at least 50 deer & elk with it over the yrs. I've found three real good places to shoot 'em with a .22lr. IF the angle is right, in the soft spot under the ear. Face on, about where the hair changes direction about the same place an X from eye's to ears crosses. From behind within 10-20 feet depending on how lively they are. At the base of the skull as near as possible to the Atlas joint. When hit in any of those places it's over with. IF you miss very much, it's possible to need another shot. Just make sure you hit 'em where it needs to go.

I've gone to a .45 Colt & 330gr hard cast. These things destroy the heads real bad. Depending on whether the head is going to be saved or not, whether I shoot 'em in the head with this thing. Behind the head on the spine but ,it'll sure go all the way thru there too. You've just got to use your thinker about where to shoot 'em and what with. I've thought seriously about adding a second holster & carrying one of my Single Sixs for finish up shots. A person can put too much weight around their hips real easy. That can limit how much walking you'll be able to do.

Wish you well, and suggest everyone that don't already know the details study til you do.
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I finished up at least 50 deer & elk with it over the yrs. I've found three real good places to shoot 'em with a .22lr.

George, I am not sure about Colorado Law on this, but I don't think using a rim fire caliber is legal, even for finishing off a big game animal.