Find
Notify
Tools

hunting with .410??
 Login/Join

Picture of nighthunter1974
posted
Just have 2 question about the .410ga.
I have herd a couple guys say they hunt hogs with the .410 rifled slug what do you guys think? And do you know if you can get the rifled slugs for reloading the .410ga.(.50oz slug=218.75gr. and the .25oz slug=109.3gr.)The .25oz looks too light to me.

p.s. I have taken hogs with a .357mag carbine(158gr. xtp)works good out to about 50yd.(may take hogs even further,haven't tried it yet.)

Posts: 22 | Location: north tx. | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I've also heard someone (I won't call him a hunter) brag that they killed a hog with a .17 HMR with a SHOULDER shot. Just because you've heard it doesn't make it true -- and certainly doesn't mean it's a wise practice, either.

Sure, a .410 slug can kill a hog. But the conditions would have to be perfect, as would the shot. There are far too many better choices out there.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They aren't game animals (at least in TX) but they still deserve respect and humane hunting practices. Would you shoot a whitetail or an elk with a .17 HMR?

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

posted Hide Post
I'm just looking for some opions on this subject.
A lot of people say a .357mag or a 7.62x39mm is not suitable for hunting hogs,I've taken many hogs with one shot kills from these two guns. I'm not looking to argue but the .410 is not a .17wmr.Can you give me a little more info please? Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Irish Paul
posted Hide Post
A .410 slug would do the trick, but it is an unnecessary handicap, when 12 gauge slugs are the same price, and do a far better job.

Paul.

Never use a cat's arse to hold a tea-towel.

Posts: 280 | Location: California/Ireland | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've killed hogs with the .410 slug and don't recommend them for close work at all. They will blow up every time as close range. If you want to use the .410 I'd suggest the buckshot loads. I recall they are available in both 00 and 000, take the 000 if you can find them as they pattern better. And do pattern them before you go chasing porkers.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
DigitalDan-In what gun(s) did you get the .410 buckshot loads to pattern well? They have been horrible in everything I tried them in, but that can be expected considering they bounce down the barrel in single file.

By the way, I only tried them as possible vermin medicine and wouldn't give them any consideration for anything larger or more tenacious than an occasional skunk, 'coon or 'possum -- and then only at very close ranges as the patterns, like I noted earlier, were nothing to brag about.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was a '50s vintage H&R Topper single shot, choked full. Patterns were adequate to about 25 yards. BTW, my comments above were in regards to the Winchester factory loads, a 1/5 oz. Forster style slug. It is entirely conceivable to me that they may work adequately at longer ranges, but the muzzle velocity was in the neighborhood of 1800 fps and that is way too fast for the design and alloy. They were quite accurate BTW, holding about 3" groups at 50 yards w/o sights other than the bead and receiver groove.

I have thought for a long long time that somebody with the time and desire could easily best the factory .410 slug fodder, either with a single round ball or a Forster style slug with more weight(more lead in nose section) and harder alloy. It has the potential in my opinion. 1/2 to 5/8 oz at 1400-1600 fps should be obtainable and it would certainly be lethal. I read some years ago about a lad that used factory .410 slug loads to bag a state record whitetail somewhere east of the Mississippi, Bang-Flop at about 50 yards, a chest shot it was.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 AI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nighthunter1974:
Just have 2 question about the .410ga.
I have herd a couple guys say they hunt hogs with the .410 rifled slug what do you guys think? And do you know if you can get the rifled slugs for reloading the .410ga.(.50oz slug=218.75gr. and the .25oz slug=109.3gr.)The .25oz looks too light to me.

p.s. I have taken hogs with a .357mag carbine(158gr. xtp)works good out to about 50yd.(may take hogs even further,haven't tried it yet.)

Take a good look at the .410. It has less power than most people think. You would be better off moving to .44 mag lever action.

If you want more range and penetration, I would go to a 45-70.

one of us
posted Hide Post
410 slugs are next to useless. Poor penetration and I don't think there is a shotgun that give any acceptable level of accuracy with them.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
17 I dont know but 22 wmr works just fine on pigs if you shoot them in the head.
If you want to use .410 at close range use #2 lead shot inside 30 feet it works and paterns better than buckshot

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
I have posted this question before, about 6 months ago....

I then had the chance to actually try killing a 250 lb hog with my winny 9410 with winchester rifled slugs.....umm let me say this, it took more then 5 shells to kill the damn thing and I hit it 3 times in the sholder and twice in the head....it was not something I will ever do again. I can provide pics if you would like.

Posts: 221 | Location: SEC | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to say that I shot my N&F .410 at 50yds and got some nice 2" groups with win. rifled slugs,but thats .25oz slugs what about .50oz slugs?

For the brave,last year my brother and I put up a hog trap made of cattle panles.We had checked it many times with no luck,(but when it gets bad it realy gets bad) we went to check it one more time and all we took with us was a 20ga #3 buck shot.As we got to the trap we were surpised to find five hogs in the trap (but not for long).As they came at us I shot the first in the head and then the next in the head and the next.When the smoke cleared all went down with one shot (thank GOD) I was out of amo.All the shots were about 20yds.I have a know respect for my little 870 pump, you could use the hog head for a water sprinkler.

p.s. The hogs weighed 300lbs,190lbs,175lbs,105lbs,60lbs
The 300lbs was female,all others were males.

GOOD LUCK IN ALL YOU DO!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know that I am going to hell for repeating this but my dad killed his first and his last deer with a 410 slug. His first was in Alabama, he told me he shot the deer in the neck at about 45 yards, it reared on its hind legs and fell over. His last was in Montague county Tx. several years ago, he shot a fat doe at dusk but we didnt find her til next day. He has an old Stevens single shot that would group 3 shots in a quart oil can at 100 paces. I have seen and done it. There are much better weapons to use for hunting, but it CAN be done. I've told this on here before but it bears repeating; when I was a child an old WW1 vet. lived his last days with us and he still had his rifle from his youth that he used to slay deer around Lampassas area. It was a Remington pump in "25-20". He talked about how it killed deer like lightening. I suppose compared to a blackpowder muzzleloader it did, but it is not what I would take deer hunting today. So CAN you kill a hog with a 410 slug? I am sure you can. SHOULD you hunt a hog with a 410? That my friend is up to you, your skills and your ethics.

Good luck and good shooting,
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't want to encourage anyone to hunt with a 410 either-- but I do know an old guy from Newfoundland who clains that this not just possible but actually a "good" gun to hunt moose with. This coming form a "market gunner" who used to fill tags for locals. The local would buy their moose tag and he would kill the moose in their name. I've heard from a close friend of his that he killed 19 moose in one day, surely a world record (if he could claim it and not go to jail).

the chef

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eterry:
I suppose compared to a blackpowder muzzleloader it did, but it is not what I would take deer hunting today. So CAN you kill a hog with a 410 slug? I am sure you can. SHOULD you hunt a hog with a 410?
That my friend is up to you, your skills and your ethics.

Good luck and good shooting,
Eterry

And if you can run faster than the slowest guy you are hunting with...

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .410 is a caliber not a guage and woefully underpowered for a hog of any size.

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Walker:
The .410 is a caliber not a guage and woefully underpowered for a hog of any size.

Isn't it .410 BORE?

I was going to ignore guage, but since you brought it up...

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of people call it a "bore" but that is incorrect. "bore is measured the same way Guage is. How many round balls of pure lead the size of the bore to make 1 pound.
.410 is a caliber, .410 inches

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
I am more uncertain than before.

Bore size is the "bore" size of the weapon.
Guage is how many lead round "balls" the same size as the "bore" it takes to equal 1 pound as you said. E.G. 12 guage is 12 lead balls to the pound, etc.

This website has an article on the .410 Bore shotgun. http://www.chuckhawks.com/410bore.htm

quote:
From Remington’s website:
The hunter's choice for a wide variety of game-bird applications, available in an exceptionally broad selection of loadings, from 12-gauge to .410 bore, with shot size options ranging from BB's all the way down to 9s - suitable for everything from quail to farm predators.

quote:
From the Alliant Powder Website:
Choose a Hull and Shot Weight...
410 Bore Load, 2 1/2-in. Fed. Plastic Shell
Shot Wt. - 1/2 |
410 Bore Load, 2 1/2-in. Rem Premier
Shot Wt. - 1/2 |…

quote:
From PMC’s website:
For hunters who appreciate the lighter weight and lesser recoil of the smaller gauges, PMC now also offers its popular Heavy Field Load in 16, 20 and 28 gauges in 2 3/4" length, and 410 bore in 3" length.
...PMC also offers its popular Clay Target shotshells in the three smaller gauges for skeet and trap shooters: 20 and 28 gauge (2 3/4") and 410 bore (2 1/2"). In well-known PMC tradition, these shells feature extra clean burning powder to keep your shotgun functioning smoothly during extended shooting sessions.

I have seen .410 bore used almost exclusively in all kinds of writing. 410 guage is actually even more widely used, although it is entirely inaccurate. Every once in a while I see it listed as .410 caliber, which is the CALIBER of the bore.
Hmmmm?

According to the info in the article, .410" is the "bore" size, but it would also have to be the caliber. Confused