ntxt
 Login/Join

<G.Hansen>
posted
ntxt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does look like it might be big.

BUT: where's the documentation to show it's the claimed 1100#?????

Nothing to even compare it to in these pictures.

I expect when someone makes such a monster claim they'd have it hanging on a scale showing the dial.

JMO

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5971 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Like Hogzilla, it looks more domestic to me than wild.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I would like to see the pickup cab close to the hog. And yes he looks like fresh out of the guy's personal feed lot to me. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That pic has been around for a while now.Can`t see it being 1100lbs myself.
Think of an Eland or Kudu, or even a Buffalo.
One of those do look impressive hung in a tree.

Posts: 203 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
compare it to his wife. she looks to be about 400 pounds...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's big but I don't reckon its 1100 lbs or damn right you would have pictures with scales included.

Gerry

Posts: 113 | Location: Herefordshire, U.K. | Registered: 12 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Regardless of its size, porkchops cut off that carcass would look like t-bones off a steer.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Maybe this is a link to this big hog....taken in the suburbs of Atlanta. At least they took more than one photo! Certainly it's got some domestic genes in it as I doubt if there is a single feral hog in North America that isn't within a couple generations of some pen raised genes.

http://www.comcast.net/news/strange/index.jsp?cat=STRAN...53.html&cvqh=itn_hog

P.S. Just what exactly does "caught" mean? Like maybe they were roped or something? Can you imagine the box trap it would take to catch an 800+ pound hog? Take a winch truck to move it. I suspect it was "caught" with 180 grains of copper-jacketed lead in a vital spot.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definately looks like it was domestic that got away from a farm somewhere. It has definatly not had to work very hard to earn a living. My dad caught one with his dogs once what was over 900lbs but they were within a mile of a hog farm and he was a recent excapee.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
CNN has stated that it was a 'domestic hog' that likes to 'escape' and raid the neighbors' yards...

This is no wild hog.... therefore I really don't care if it weighed 1100, 1200, or whatever pounds... it was livestock, not game.

Also, after that guy hung it in his yard for spectators to see... it isn't fit for consumption anyway. That makes it a waste IMO.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
compare it to his wife. she looks to be about 400 pounds...

I was thinking around 350 but i'll leave that to the expert.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I work with a guy that lives next door to the place where this hog was killed. He has been bringing in pictures of this hog and 3 or 4 others that were hanging out in his yard for the past 6 months. The farmer 5 miles down the road has been having a lot of trouble keeping these particular hogs pinned up for quite a while. My buddy and his neighbors had the sheriffs department out several times to try to get rid of the hogs. Each time, they would defer to Animal Control, who would then defer back to the county sheriff. Finally somebody called the guy that killed it(a hunter friend). From what I understand you could basically walk up to the hogs without them spooking. The pig was killed at 20-30 yards.

This pig was farm raised and was loaded into the truck with a front end loader. It was actually weighed, but it bottomed out all the traditional scales that they could find. Finally it was weighed at a truck weigh station. They weighed the truck empty and then again after they loaded the hog and came up with the 1100 lbs.

My buddy was contacted by Boar Hunter Magazine to get some pictures. They were particularly interested in his pictures of the hog while it was still alive. What they were not interested in was the truth that this hog was sombodies pet that just got too big to keep fenced up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We were contacted to score the hog. We had many calls to the magazine (Wild Boar USA) to go check it out. We sent an official scorer to look at it and we ended up disqualifying if because it was obviously domestic in breed. Like the original hogzilla the guy who shot it had already removed it's head to try and hide the fact that it was a big domestic porker. His excuse was that it was stinking hanging there so he cut the head off....That's what was reported to me. We refused to score Hogzilla and now this one as well. In all the boars we have in our record book it is very rare that they go over 350 pounds in free range conditions. Many claim they have a 500 pound monster but when we send a scorer out and it gets put on a calibrated scale it looses a LOT of weight...haaaa....Had one guy try to tell me that after killing a hog that he will loose 40% of his weight in a few hours....I told him not unless he put him in a jerky dehydrator the size of a building...HA

I refuse to give any press to the killing of a tame domestic farm pig!

Cody Weiser

Posts: 72 | Location: Hallettsville, Texas | Registered: 23 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
BG is right on. Wild/feral pigs RARELY reach 350 lbs. much less two or three times that! It's a rough life earning a living in the wild.

I just don't understand this fascination with these obviously fraudulent kills. An 800, 900 or even 1,200 lb. pig raised in a pen or fed just isn't that unusual... how these kills are confused with real hunting baffles me.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right on Cody, good for you!

Same thing goes for all the 1500pound elk up here in CO too.

The first 600lbs is hot air that evaporates.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5971 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote