New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wounded Veteran Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

The Texas Dog Hunters Association along with Caney Creek Lodge and Wild Boar USA combined efforts to put on this 2 day hunt for 4 wounded Veterans just back from Iraq. All the Vets were seriously wounded on the battle field and all are currently patients receiving care for their wounds in San Antonio.
These 4 guys have served their country...went and gave 100% to protect our safety here in the USA and to free and opressed population in another land. They sustained serious injuries that will forever change the way that they live their lives. We wanted to show these great soldiers our appreciation for their awesome sacrifice by getting them out of the hospital and providing them with a hog hunt.
You could see the look on the soldiers' faces when they arrived that they were thankful to be "OUT" of the hospital. They all kept thanking everyone for this opportunity and for the ability to feel like "real people again". As we talked we learned that all 4 enjoyed the outdoors, but none had ever been boar hunting before and no one had any idea how dog hunting for boars actually worked. Once this was explained and the guys were told that they would be getting up-close and personal with a boar by using a spear you could see the gleam of competition and challenge in each of their eyes. We headed out after a good supper and turned the dogs out on a piece of land that Justin Bounds (owner of Caney Creek Lodge) said he knew to be teaming with hogs. It wasn't long before we could hear the dogs baying and after a short run through the brush the first soldier had a bar hog that weighed 260 lbs. He was PUMPED with excitement and almost the entire group was able to follow into the wooded area and view the dogs bay, the catch dogs catch, and their partner spear his first hog. The look on his face and the handshakes and pats on the back that followed were priceless. He said that he was hooked for life and next time wanted to get one with a bowie knife!

It wasn't long before the hogs bayed again and the next soldier was up in line. This boar was a little bit smaller, but was fighting the dog in a drainage ditch and even ran through a 30' piece of culvert pipe with a catch dog attached. The soldier did not hesitate to slide down the hill, get right into the middle of the fight and spear his boar. Even with second and third degree burns on his hands, protected only by a pair of special gloves he climbed through thick brush and stuck the boar without even a pause in motion. After the boar was out it was up the hill and back to big smiles, congradulations, and story telling.

The next morning Justin and I were joined by Krystal And Thomas Rohan of Ugly Dog Ranch. We turned out the dogs a few hours after day light and before long had a bay. We had two soldiers left that wanted to get boars and one who was doing what he could on crutches. The bay was close to an opening so we began to get the soldiers to make their way through the brush when we came to a deep creek bed. The soldiers did not hesitate and suprised everyone by working his way down the creek bed ON CRUTCHES! When the catch dogs were released if was found that there was more than one hog bayed so the hogs broke and ran. We ended up running forever before we came to the catch dogs which had caught a sow. The third soldier was able to spear this sow and get his first hog. He was just as happy as the other two, but I'd have to say a little more tired as we all were at this point!
One of the bay dogs had been cut by a large boar in the group so we had to get her attention immediately and the catch dogs were finished and needed rest and water. We decided to call it a hunt and take care of the dogs. The fourth soldier understood fully and later sat in a box blind with a rifle, but didn't see any big boars. He was invited on 3 different hog hunts by others that were there helping so I KNOW that he will have his trophy hog very very soon!
All the guys's hogs were caped and are being shoulder mounted at no charge to them so they have a trophy to remember their hunt by.
The hunt was video taped by Tejas Adventures from Kerrville and will air on the Men's Channel after the first of the year.
I want to thank Justin and Beth Bounds from Caney Creek Lodge in Teague Texas for donating the hunt and lodging. Their lodge is rated 5 STAR and in luxury to say the least. If anyone is looking to do any trophy boar hunting, exotic hunting, or trophy whitetail hunting please send your business his way. It is good to spend money with people who do so much for others and who support organizations like the TDHA.
I also want to thank Will McClellan from Wilderness Artistry Taxidermy in Teague. He came out and offered SUPER deals on shoulder mounts for these guys so we would be able to pay for them and the soldiers would not have to drop a penny!
Finally, I would like to thank the Soldiers and their families. I was honored to be able to spend time with you and to hunt with you. You serve and protect so I can live my life the way that I do. You sacrifice your freedoms so that I can have mine. I thank you for that. It means to me more than you know. God Bless America and God Bless the Military!
www.wildboarusa.com

Cody Weiser

Posts: 72 | Location: Hallettsville, Texas | Registered: 23 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Cody,

You son-of-a-biscuit-eater. You get me all teary-eyed like that again and I will come on down there and whoop up on you, boy.

Well done, sir. That's damned sure putting your money and time where your mouth is. You are to be commended.

Matt

Posts: 1247 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
My hat is off to you chaps for a job well done, and a gift to be remembered by all who took part. salute

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I can offer a free hunt to this warriors they deserve it i was a soldier and i admire them ,you must only mail me .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6367 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Badger Matt:
Cody,

You son-of-a-biscuit-eater. You get me all teary-eyed like that again and I will come on down there and whoop up on you, boy.

Well done, sir. That's damned sure putting your money and time where your mouth is. You are to be commended.

Matt

------------------

Matt,

Every now and again one of these threads hits you where you live.

Juan Pozzi, Sir, you are a Gent.

Dungbeetle

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Juan!
I have been flooded with calls and e-mails of people wanting to help in anyway they can the next time an event like this takes place. These guys (in this case) were given a 2 day leave from the hospital and then had to return.
I will definately put your name and e-mail down on the list for future events. It is a great thing to be able to give back!

Cody Weiser

Posts: 72 | Location: Hallettsville, Texas | Registered: 23 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cody:

Just got to this one, missed it the last time on here.

That's great, I thank you folks for showing our vets such a great time.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5958 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
AS A RIGTH WING AND CRISTIAN MAN WE OFFERE THIS BRAVE WARRIOR A FREE HUNT IN ARGENTINA THEY DESERVE IT.JUAN

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6367 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote