New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fo' Mo'
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here's what I found when I drove up to the trap this AM--and three of them had the nerve to moon me! 2 38-lb and 2 40-lb shoats. All found new homes in friends' freezers.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Perfect size. Way to go.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny thing--never have a problem finding a home for this size, but the big boars--well, the only home they find is in a buzzard's stomach. Wink

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Is there any market for live ones?

Feedlot or something like that?

When I was a kid and used to raise pigs for FFA and 4-H if we didn't sell them at the county fair it was hard to break even.

I think we sold them for $1 pound at 250-270 pounds and we had about $3 a pound in them. But we were buying top end show pigs at $250 each.

Lambs and Beef cattle were 10 times worse.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MOA, this is hearsay as I have never tried it, but my uncle once told me that trying to fatten a wild hog was a waste of time due to the number of parasites they carried. Makes sense to me, but I don't know how to verify it. Seems to me they do fairly well on their own out being feral though... I have seen some pretty healthy feral hogs.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's a few folks that buy them--but the one's I've heard about only buy pigs over 70 lbs. And, you can fatten them up. Buddy had 5 in a pen and grain-fed them for a month--they fattened up nicely. These all had a nice 1/4--3/8" layer of fat already.

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Doubless,

That's why they make hog wormer.

Not sure what other parasites they have that couldn't be beat by it though.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
You can't sell feral hog meat in the US. You can sell it in Europe. I know a couple of guys in central Texas who are commercial hog trappers. They have holding pens where trappers deliver their hogs. The hogs are collected alive, tested and then processed and shipped to Europe.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Wow, thanks Rusty I didn't know that.

one of us
Picture of Hawaiian_Hunter
posted Hide Post
Small pigs like that sell like hotcakes here in the islands the Tongans love to roast them whole on a spit hulihuli style with crispy skin.

ILLEGITIMUS NON CARBORUNDUM

Posts: 158 | Location: Moku Manu, Hawai'i | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With Quote