New
Find
Notify
Tools

How far North are feral hogs?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In the East, feral hogs are in the Carolinas but I wonder if any are farther north? Enough to hunt or just occasional sightings?

Oxon

one of us
posted Hide Post
We've had occasional sightings in PA, not really enough to hunt, but enough for the Game Comission to take note:

http://www.post-gazette.com/st...l-feral-hogs-290102/

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There were a few in Northern Wis . But I belive they were done away with.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Here is some info:

Northern United States

Although feral hogs don't dominate the northern part of the United States, they do live in Indiana and Ohio. Mainly though, the state of Wisconsin has a dense population of these wild pigs. Because of the high population, the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources promotes the removal of feral hogs at any cost, just as long as you possess a valid small game license. The state understands how these wild pigs destroy its surrounding environment and have the potential of carrying disease which could harm or kill both animals and humans.

Eastern United States

Regardless of where they live, wild pigs can be extremely destructive.

Feral hogs are expanding predominately from the south and working their way towards the eastern section of the country. New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Vermont are states where wild pigs reside. Additional eastern states have received reports of feral hogs. But it is the state of North Carolina, which has one of the largest wild pig epidemics in the East. This state's main concern is the transmission of exotic parasites from the wild pigs to other animals as well as to humans. These parasites can have a dangerous effect on a human's immune system and their health can be compromised.

Read more: A List of States That Have Feral Hogs | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_85790...s.html#ixzz24qZdfeAt

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked a farmer and a Judge in KS last year if they had them and they both told me no.

I suspect the ones on the upper east coast (PA) were put there in the last 30 years or so.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob, where did this information originate? I have spent considerable time in WI, and the information I have is not at all what this says...

quote:
Although feral hogs don't dominate the northern part of the United States, they do live in Indiana and Ohio. Mainly though, the state of Wisconsin has a dense population of these wild pigs. Because of the high population, the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources promotes the removal of feral hogs at any cost, just as long as you possess a valid small game license. The state understands how these wild pigs destroy its surrounding environment and have the potential of carrying disease which could harm or kill both animals and humans.

Here is a link from the WI DNR that shows known locations of feral pigs in WI in 2011:

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wil...onsinFeralPigMap.pdf

The part about shooting them on sight is correct, but there are very few ferals in WI, based on what I have learned from being up there, certainly no "dense population".

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've killed them on the cimmaron in
northeast N.M.
Right on the Co.line

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
WI DNR: http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wil.../pig/pig_hunting.htm

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Campbell:
I asked a farmer and a Judge in KS last year if they had them and they both told me no.

I suspect the ones on the upper east coast (PA) were put there in the last 30 years or so.

Definitely. There's a guy who raises full blooded Russian boars about 5 miles from my parents' farm. At least one of them got loose becaue my dad and I found it dead in the creek about 3 miles from the farm where they raise them.

There are a fair number of game ranch type operations that stock hogs scattered around the state. They're almost certainly the source of the wild pigs that pop up from time to time.

Having raised hogs growing up, I can say for certain that its pretty tough to build a fence that they won't eventually root under, unless you pour concrete along the bottom.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Southern Ohio for sure has at least 3 counties ODNR has on the map now. They want hunters to kill them on sight!

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are reports that there are wild hogs in New Jersey, in the Pine Barrens at the southern end of the state.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
They do well in Northern Europe so I guess they'll be everywhere eventually, like coyotes.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the US, NH has had a localized wild population for years, have not hunte d there, its a well kept secret of sorts...No. Calif. is really great for hog hunting, they are long legged and run those ridges like deer. Check out Red Bluff area, if Bill Burrows is still guiding, go with him - - his huge ranch is prettier than some nat'l. parks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
This ain't just a Yankee thing. Big Grin Right up to central Alberta here and even further north. Survive in Siberia, why couldn't they handle it here?

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
Right up to central Alberta here and even further north. Survive in Siberia, why couldn't they handle it here?

Grizz

Grizz,

Do you actually know anyone who has actually shot a feral pig in Alberta? We've got a place in Stettler Co. and the county has a bounty on feral pigs. Every hunter (lots) and every farmer (everyone not already inclued in the hunter category) is looking to shoot a pig. Apart from from a few escapees who died quickly, no one has ever even seen a wild hog.

Personally, I'm torn. Don't want the things to tear up the land, but would love the hunting.

Cheers,
Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I lived in the general area I hunted NH many times and although I have heard of hogs (boar) there, I've never seen them or any evidence of their activities. Locals told me that every once in a while someone will bait a length of the Corbin Park fence with corn and after the boar discovered the area will cut the fence to let the boar out. Allegedly there is a small self-sustaining population in the state now and allegedly hunters take them once in a while but I have never personally known someone who did and have never seen a dead boar shot outside Corbin Park. It just seems to me that they should have reproduced quickly and that there would be large numbers loose if the above was true.

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Texas had hogs for decades before we have them like we have them now. They were in certain "pockets" of the state but not as widespread.

Then, sometime in the 80's the population started expanding. Some of this was natural, some of it was "helped" by people who turned them loose to hunt.

I have heard of it happening in other states but I can't prove it.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Why you up there are so concerned about parasites and those things ? Just cook well the meat and it is safe to eat it.

Pigs are everywhere around the world and it is fun to hunt them. You get more youngsters involved in big game hunting because pigs are easy to find, they reproduce easy so hunting season is year round, and licences are not expensive...and antis don't worry about pig hunting. There is not a "bambi story" behind pigs..

More pigs=more hunters

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Feral hogs are extremely destructive animals, they're very prolific breeders, and they often drive down populations of native game animals (both by competing for food and by preying on them). I would cheerfully hunt them if they were around, but I don't really think a population of wild hogs is a good thing, and I think people who get caught intentionally releasing hogs ought to pay a hefty fine for it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
not far enuf - up here in the north country the only pig type varmints are elected or appointed

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you - interesting article. I would still like to talk with a hunter who has actually shot one of these loose boars.

The colony in Corbin Park is self-sustaining so I guess any that get out could easily survive the winters as well.

Oxon

one of us
posted Hide Post
NY has a few and as I understand they're from preserves originally.
There is a new pig virus in the US which may transfer to people .Parasites can tranfer also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
NY has a few and as I understand they're from preserves originally.
There is a new pig virus in the US which may transfer to people .Parasites can tranfer also.

Trichinosis certainly can but if you freeze the meat for a few months the trichina organism (encysted) will die.

Are feral hogs/boar sources of trichinosis in the US?

Oxon

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, they carry trichinosis, as well as brucellosis, tularemia, tuberculosis and a number of other diseases.

One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
The ones around Corbin park have been there for years. They don't cut fences!!! The problem arises when a tree comes down on the fences and some escape. They are European boar. The State in its' infinate wisdom does not regulate or list them anymore in the hunting journal. They are considered private property, even though they are on public land. All you need to do is call Corbin Park and get permission. They will tell you to kill every pig you see. They will even tell you where they have been sighted within a few days. They are like phantoms.

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kjjm4:
Yes, they carry trichinosis, as well as brucellosis, tularemia, tuberculosis and a number of other diseases.

Just as whitetail deers and any other wild animals.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I once read on the forum , perhaps the Alaska section , that the trichinosis type there would survive freezing.
Could someone confirm that ?

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
There is no secret for trichina...just cook very well the meat and end of problem.

And if you are thinking in doing ham or dry sausages (salami) just send a piece of meat from the diafragm of the pig and send it to analyze it if it is trichina free. In less than 24 hours you will know if your pig has trichina or not.

Just my 2cts..

L

posted Hide Post
We have some pretty significant numbers of them on California's north coast (above San Francisco) as well.

Posts: 7 | Location: northern CA | Registered: 25 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
we now have them spread accross the state of ny over the weekend a member of my hunt club sent me a picture of two on the road not far from our cabin in arkville ny this is in the catskill mountains.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tanoose:
we now have them spread accross the state of ny over the weekend a member of my hunt club sent me a picture of two on the road not far from our cabin in arkville ny this is in the catskill mountains.

Does anybody hunt them?

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally got an answer. Friend of mine sent me a clipping from a NH newspaper that reported on a boar in downtown Lebanon NH. It was eating apples.

Apparently there are at least 200 of them wild in the state and the guy who sent me the clipping has a son who shot one a few years ago so there's feral hog (really boar) hunting in NH. Not as many as farther south, but apparently enough sightings so that experienced hunters think the estimate of 200 is much too low.

Here's the URL to the story:

http://www.vnews.com/09052012/09052012.htm

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
they ain't made it anywhere near here yet.
i know of some areas in utah where they want you to pay to hunt them.
but i'm pretty sure they fell off a truck or sumthin.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
I once read on the forum , perhaps the Alaska section , that the trichinosis type there would survive freezing.
Could someone confirm that ?

Yes, that's true. The trichina organism has evolved and the ones in polar bear, for example are not killed by freezing. You have to cook the crap out of them. Lower USA pig trichinosis dies if you freeze the meat.

I like raw bacon and I keep some in the chest freezer and every once in a while will eat some.

Wouldn't do it with polar bear or any other northern animal.

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You hear that there are some here in southern New Jersey. I've never seen one nor have any of my hunting buddies. Never saw any hunting south eastern PA either.
There's a hunting preserve or two that has boar in north eastern Pennsylvania and I wouldn't doubt if a couple are roaming around the outside of the fence.

Posts: 105 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
I was told they are as North as Colorado in the west.

Not sure how accurate that is.

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
We have had isolated colonies in Oregon and state Department of Ag and ODFW have worked to wipe them out. Any responsible Oregon hunter will shoot them on site. They are working their way up from California.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
We have them here in Iowa, but I suspect they got loose from a farm or game farm. They are mentioned in our Hunting Regulations.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take back my previous post--they're here in southern New Jersy albeit in limited number (so far). Played a golf course that is getting churned up by them.

Posts: 105 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many pigs found in the DC area.

-Easy to find as they are always feeding at the "public trough".
-Can be found rutting year round e.g. Bill Clinton.
-They are very destructive.
-Can be any color.
-Uncommonly boorish behavior e.g. Ted Kennedy aka "the Lyon of the Senate".
-Dominated by older age class males and females.
-Strong efforts among the older age class to continue breeding.
-Definitely a public nuisance.

Posts: 86 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 12 July 2006Reply With Quote