New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hog Hunts Available--
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
ALL BOOKED UPWe have an abundance of hogs on our deer lease-small place (approx 600 ac)
and under the terms of our contract, we are offering hog hunts on a limited basis
in February, March, and April. The ranch is in LaSalle County, about 1.5
hours south of San Antonio, TX.

We are NOT an outfitter, but just the lease members trying to crop the hog
herd. What you will get is a very good opportunity to shoot 2 hogs apiece,
hunting from elevated blinds over feeders (2 per blind) and we will scatter
corn on the roads as well if you wish. During the recently concluded deer
season, we typically saw 20 to 30 hogs per evening hunt, and about half that
many in the morning hunts. There are a number of large (175-200 lb) boars
around, and lots of eating size pigs. Only thing that is off-limits are the
sows with piglets and javalinas. The specifics are: 2 hunter, 2 day
minimum, 2 hog limit at $75 per hunter per day ($300 total for the 2 days).
You can provide your own sleeping accommodations (camper) or for parties of
2 or less, use our "rustic" (and I mean primitive) camphouse which does have
toilet and shower. You'll have to bring ice chests and ice for the meat as
our walk-in is down for maintenance. I'll field dress your kills for an
additional $25 per animal. You also provide your own food and drinks.
Nearest store is about 7 miles away but it has less on its shelves than the
typical 7-11. Nearest motel is in Cotulla, about 20 miles away.

Here is a pic of one of our former resident boars.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a276/dustoffer/CornoMatic1.jpgAll Booked Up

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very interested.....
PM sent

Posts: 716 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
For anyone not familiar with this part of the state, I can attest that the general area does indeed have quite a healthy population of porkers.

I have no affiliation with the ranch or the fellow posting the info; I just wanted to point out that the general area does have quite a few hogs and, in some cases, could be considered overrun by them.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9406 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dustoffer
You state there are "eating" hogs and 175 to 200 lb hogs. I have killed quite a few pigs and my favorite eating size is 250 to 275 lbs.
I have eaten boars that weighed 325 lbs, and they were very good.
I encourage any one who hunts on dustoffer's lease to take the hog home and put it in the frezer/skillet.
His offer sound like a good deal.
Wild hot meat is the beat there is. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
N E 450 No2-

I've never seen nor shot one that size--probably the biggest I've seen on the ranch alive is around 250 (my guess). The largest we've put on the scales in our tenure is 268 if I remember correctly. That was before field dressing. I helped drag a boar out of the cactus that we had to field dress before two of us could move it, but we never put him on the scales.

And, I agree, they are all good eating. The old boars stink to high heaven sometimes, but once skinned, they are great also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I've always been doing something wrong but a big boar is one of the worst smelling things I've ever tried to prepare to eat.

Do you do anything special to them to get rid of that rank boar smell? Granted some have it is much worse than others but they all still have it to some degree in my experience.

I killed a big boar when I was in college and brought the backstraps back to my house to test. I soaked them in saltwater for a couple of days and then tried to chicken fry them. The smell was so bad that my roomates were forced to go outside and we had to air the house out for at least an hour to get rid of the boar smell.

What's your secret?

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dustoffer,
Message sent.Dave

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rattlesnaker-

I don't have any secret, but first comes a bath to get rid of the mud, then when I start the field dressing process, I start about 6" above the penis and cut at least that far away to each side, getting everything down to the first layer of muscle over the innards. This, according to the vet on our lease, gets rid of a lot of the smell. Then, after this is done, I wash my hands and get a new knife.

I've had the same experience with the smell--my wife has "restricted" me to the use of one specific skillet, and even then she doesn't like to be in the house when I use the tenderloins in an oriental stir fry.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never had any of the pig meat I cook smell bad at all. It probably depends on what they are eating.
Most of the pigs we kill have quite a bit of fat on them.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dustoffer....So that's $300 covers 2 hunters taking 2 hogs each (4 hogs total) in a 2 day, 2 nights period. Now is that rifle, bow, shotgun, handgun hunting day or night?

Posts: 157 | Location: Kenosha, WI | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm very interested too!

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johnny B and MajorCaliber-

Send me a PM or give me your e-mail and I'll fill you in without clogging up the thread.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why, if you are trying to control the numbers, are the sows and piglets off limits? By the time a female pig is seven months old, she is breeding, and she will deliver 2-1/2 litters a year from then on. Half the piglets will usually be females... It is easy to see why the hog population in TX is out of control.

Every sow I have ever shot, with one exception, either had pigs with her or had pigs in her. (The one exception was a 240# barren sow.)

In my experience, some boars are okay, and some are so rotten they aren't worth picking up, but they will never be as good table fare as a female.

Typically, the reason sage is put into sausage is to help to mask the boar taste/smell.
(And I don't like sage...)

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doubless-the reason we have put the sows with nursing litters off-limits is due to our landowner. While we do lease the hunting rights, he made some stipulations about some things, such as this, shooting does, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gotcha... Nothing personal, just wondered.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Give me a few more specifics, please. Sounds like we could stay in Cotulla. Could we take meals there as well?

Would we drive through San Antonio or head south at Junction or Kerrville?

Would some time in Feb. work for you.
Twonne
quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:
We have an abundance of hogs on our deer lease-small place (approx 600 ac)
and under the terms of our contract, we are offering hog hunts on a limited basis
in February, March, and April. The ranch is in LaSalle County, about 1.5
hours south of San Antonio, TX.

We are NOT an outfitter, but just the lease members trying to crop the hog
herd. What you will get is a very good opportunity to shoot 2 hogs apiece,
hunting from elevated blinds over feeders (2 per blind) and we will scatter
corn on the roads as well if you wish. During the recently concluded deer
season, we typically saw 20 to 30 hogs per evening hunt, and about half that
many in the morning hunts. There are a number of large (175-200 lb) boars
around, and lots of eating size pigs. Only thing that is off-limits are the
sows with piglets and javalinas. The specifics are: 2 hunter, 2 day
minimum, 2 hog limit at $75 per hunter per day ($300 total for the 2 days).
You can provide your own sleeping accommodations (camper) or for parties of
2 or less, use our "rustic" (and I mean primitive) camphouse which does have
toilet and shower. You'll have to bring ice chests and ice for the meat as
our walk-in is down for maintenance. I'll field dress your kills for an
additional $25 per animal. You also provide your own food and drinks.
Nearest store is about 7 miles away but it has less on its shelves than the
typical 7-11. Nearest motel is in Cotulla, about 20 miles away.

Here is a pic of one of our former resident boars.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a276/dustoffer/CornoMatic1.jpg

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dustoffer,

Sounds like a great opportunity for someone who interested in Piggie shooting.

I can also understand that if one lease practices sound game management principles and others do not there will invariably be game population imbalances and control issues.

I would like to also add that we do NOT shoot lactating Sows, either. For the obvious reason; the litter perishes. To do such is considered here to be unsportsmanlike. If, though you are considering game management principles and have population issues with Wild Pigs; in Europe shooting off Piglets has become a viable alternative in attempting to control numbers.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerry-

I agree completely on the unsportsmanlike/
unethical matter of shooting the lactating sows. However, shooting 25 lb pigs for some fine cooking is encouraged (sows for sure).

We have a small place with game-proof fencing on 3 sides. However, the ranch across the open side of the lease is 16,000 acres and is wide open. We feed year-round and they only feed during the deer season, so we pull in a lot of their animals.

I have spoken with a wildlife biologist who says to maintain the herd at present levels, we must shoot a minimum 70% of the pigs each year. To reduce the population, we must shoot more than 70%. I don't think we'll shoot 35-40 pigs this year, and thus, perhaps can only limit the increase in population.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ALL AVAILABLE DATES ARE BOOKED. IF SERIOUSLY INTERESTED SEND PM AND I'LL PUT YOU ON A STANDBY LIST IF I HAVE CANCELLATIONS. WATCH NEXT YEAR FOR SAME OFFER.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Good job getting your hog population down and giving some folks a shot at them, as it were.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sort of suspect we'll have to do it again next year, and I'll be shooting them each trip to the ranch throughout the year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
dust.....

Agree with your comments above.

You did a great job of offering some shooting opportunities to our AR members, I hope they have fun reducing your piggie population!

70% - Cool!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote