New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wheat Field Pigs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My hunting truck has been down for about a month.I am not smart enough fix it and all the mechanics around here are full up with oil field work.I loaded the dogs Thursday night in my truck and went out to a wheat field where my son and I hunted the last time he was here.When we arrived at the field we could see fresh tracks around the field but the dogs in the box were quiet so we just drove on around the first field and on to the second.Before I got to the pivot where I had seen fresh tracks that afternoon,I stopped and looked at the field with the NV and saw 8 or 10 pigs close to the pivot.From where we were there was a crosswind so we decided to let the curs out and let them figure it out.I was watching the dogs with the NV and when the got downwind of the pigs the made a 90 deg left turn and heade straight to the two leaders.At the first bark the pigs all bunched up and we had a good ralley going out in the open field.One by one the hogs would break for the brush.I guess the curs thought I wasn,t going to give them any help with the catch dogs so they caught one the same time I let the catch dogs out. When we got to them it was a big old fat sow.We loaded the dogs and drove along on the downwind sie of the brush hoping one had stopped.Not barks so we kept on going to the highway to look fo tracks where they had left the farm.Sure enough they had crossed the highway so we continued on around to the first field when the dogs almost turned my truck over. I looked with the NV and there were two pigs near the pivot. I again was watching the dogs go straight as an arrow to the pigs when one of them broke and headed toward the pivot and that is the one they bayed. I sent my helper toward the bay and sent the catch dogs.I drove the truck to the road to the pivot and headed toward the catch.When I got there my helper told me that the curs had caught before the catch dogs arrived and we needed to check dogs.Sure enough one of his dogs had been cut under the left ear.He was a nice little boar about 150.We again loaded the dogs and headed to the barn where there was some light to sew up his dog.After sewing up his dog we headed back to the sow to load her and bring her to the hands at the farm.We noaticed a big spot on her left ham so we decided toleave her for the critters.On the way back we had go by the first field and the dogs started barking in the box again.Sure enough there was a pig in the field(I will start to beleive the dogs sometime) I let the curs out and it wasn't long until we had a bay.I turned around and drove until we were straight across from them and let Mason and Heyena out. This time I drove straight to the catch and it was another little fat boar.We loaded the dogs again and I told my helper that if the dogs barked again I was going to keep driving.We started at 11:30pm and had three caught by 1:30 am.I think I am goin back tonight.

Didn't get a picture of the other pig. Sorry about the pictures all I had was phone

Posts: 157 | Location: Pearsall, Tex. | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun to me.
Good luck this evening
+1 tu2

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always helps when you connect.
Glad you got 'em shot that night.
Thanks for sharing the story and pics.

What was wrong with the truck? Many times IF you'll post about it, some of us can give you advice on what to do to fix it up again.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt out of a mitsubishi minicab and had to change the engine.Have not been able to get it started since the engine swap.Sometimes it will start and run awhile but when I plug in the alternator it starts backfiring out the carb.I am about ready to push it off into a hole.All the timing marks line up on TDC.

Posts: 157 | Location: Pearsall, Tex. | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duckman,

quote:
Have not been able to get it started since the engine swap.Sometimes it will start and run awhile but when I plug in the alternator it starts backfiring out the carb

I am not much of a mechanic, in fact there are probably seven or eight acres of things I don't know about mechanicing, but that does not sound good at all.

Sounds like a wire is crossed and a cylinder or two is firing when the intake valve is open.

If you can’t find wiring that is crossed, I will send you a map with several cliff options. Good Luck.

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Nice work, duckman!

Hope you figure out what's wrong with your truck!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wires are not crossed. Now it won't even fire. I need directions to that cliff!

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duckman:
Wires are not crossed. Now it won't even fire. I need directions to that cliff!

Need any help pushing? Big Grin

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on how the cliff is!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's the best idea I've heard yet for imports!
Dig that hole if you need to.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote