Tools

The Very Worst Hog Hunt Outcome
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Posts: 13774 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just horrible. A nightmare situation. Lives lost through no fault of theirs.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2018 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
All 3? HTF does that happen? Sorry, this is tragic but sounds like a little Darwinism at work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This was not an "underground tank", but an old-fashioned cistern which served as the water supply for a house, and probably located adjacent to a residence which is now long gone. Such cisterns typically have, as described, a ground-level opening of about four feet, which likely originally had a brick or concrete rim standing roughly three feet above ground level. The masonry rim has long-ago succumbed to the elements, or was knocked over by farm equipment, leaving an open hole. The cistern itself is usually "jug"-shaped, meaning that the sides below the opening (which are typically coated with plaster) are somewhat wider than the opening itself, thus making it impossible for a person to climb out once inside. There are thousands of these abandoned cisterns scattered across rural America, most of which are long-forgotten and do pose a significant hazard to the unsuspecting. Most often, the current landowner may have no idea where such a cistern is located. I've come across several of them in farming operations through the years -- and almost lost equipment in a couple of them!

As reported on the local news, a dog first fell into the hole. One of the would-be hunters, perhaps not realizing the depth of the water or the type of "hole" he was getting into, apparently attempted to get the dog out. He became trapped and his companions naturally attempted to rescue him. Whether they were all overcome by H2S gas (which is certainly possible) or simply drowned will presumably be determined by autopsy.

Yes, tragic, and it could happen to anyone. I won't disparage the victims by questioning their good sense. All of them were apparently motivated to risk their lives in an attempt to save others. That's the manner in which they should be regarded.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
People unaware of the dangers of H2S simply think something else is the problem. It looks so easy to rescue some one or something as they are right there! Terrible tragedy! Over and over at work we heard tales of multiple deaths due to H2S! A Vet once told me, do you want a dog or do you want this dog? If you want this dog it will cost you! This dog cost three lives! There will always be another dog!

Posts: 701 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There have been numerous cases in the oilfield where an individual just leaned over an open hole, inhaled the H2S, succumbed, and toppled into the confined space, never intending to enter it. We'll never know. I can imagine the dog drops in, the first person there sticks his head into the opening to see what happened and how to get the dog out, and you have a chain reaction of casualties.

It's a natural inclination to want to help when you see someone drop. You rush towards them to help, and you become a casualty.

You had to impress on everyone on known H2S locations to assume the worst, rush to mask-up, then see what can be done.

I can think of one well in Andrews County where a hand working at the shale shakers (which is mounted over the steel pits) was overcome by H2S coming from the returns (hole). He toppled into the steel pits and drowned. I will bet at least one or more of these victims (probably at least the woman) died this same way.

Posts: 13774 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s sad. I remember reading over twenty years ago. Poor families in Egypt living in cemeteries. There was a septic tank and a young teenager fell in. Instantly fellow relatives, uncles etc.. started jumping in to help. 8 lives were lost, never forgot it.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
This was not an "underground tank", but an old-fashioned cistern which served as the water supply for a house, and probably located adjacent to a residence which is now long gone. Such cisterns typically have, as described, a ground-level opening of about four feet, which likely originally had a brick or concrete rim standing roughly three feet above ground level. The masonry rim has long-ago succumbed to the elements, or was knocked over by farm equipment, leaving an open hole. The cistern itself is usually "jug"-shaped, meaning that the sides below the opening (which are typically coated with plaster) are somewhat wider than the opening itself, thus making it impossible for a person to climb out once inside. There are thousands of these abandoned cisterns scattered across rural America, most of which are long-forgotten and do pose a significant hazard to the unsuspecting. Most often, the current landowner may have no idea where such a cistern is located. I've come across several of them in farming operations through the years -- and almost lost equipment in a couple of them!

As reported on the local news, a dog first fell into the hole. One of the would-be hunters, perhaps not realizing the depth of the water or the type of "hole" he was getting into, apparently attempted to get the dog out. He became trapped and his companions naturally attempted to rescue him. Whether they were all overcome by H2S gas (which is certainly possible) or simply drowned will presumably be determined by autopsy.

Yes, tragic, and it could happen to anyone. I won't disparage the victims by questioning their good sense. All of them were apparently motivated to risk their lives in an attempt to save others. That's the manner in which they should be regarded.

I just filled in one of these on my farm.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12540 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Live Oak:
People unaware of the dangers of H2S simply think something else is the problem. It looks so easy to rescue some one or something as they are right there! Terrible tragedy! Over and over at work we heard tales of multiple deaths due to H2S! A Vet once told me, do you want a dog or do you want this dog? If you want this dog it will cost you! This dog cost three lives! There will always be another dog!

I live in an oil field area and remember a case where one guy went down in a tank, two others followed before somebody finally got his head straight. Nowadays H2S training is a must have before you walk on a job site. Septic tanks are killers as well.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote