New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wild Pig with the Blaser K 95
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I went to the deer lease this weekend with an order for some pig meat from my father in law.
Like me he likes wild pig meat best of all.
I had decided tio hunt with my single shot Blaser K 95 Stutzen in 308. I was using some Winchester factory 150 gr Fail Safe loads that I had bought on closeout a couple of years ago. They shoot great in the K 95.

I parked my truck at the start of "Pig Alley" an area on our lease where pigs are seen many times. The ground was very dry with leaves that made walking so loud ear plugs were almost necessary. I started stalking very slowly. I had not gone 40 yards from the vehicle when I saw 3... no 4 pigs. They were about 45 yards away. I began the "sneak". Two were fairly small, 2 others were shooters. As I snuck up on them, they were feeding away from my left to my right. I looked straight ahead and THERE, right in front of me about 25 yards was a pig. He walked into some brush and stopped. I could vaguely see a partial outline of his body and could see his ear. I cocked the K 95 aimed theough the scope, set at 3.5x and fired hoping th hit the pig behind the shoulder, as not to damage the shoulder, which is great as a roast.
At the shot the pig went right down, squelled a vew times and was done for when I got to him.
The bullet struck a rib behind the shoulder, damaging one lung and shreading the liver, then exiting. I was impressed with the damage the Fail Safe bullet did. Further test are in order.

The pig weighed 90 lbs field dressed.
A buddy on the lease also shot a pig that afternoon, and gave it to me as he knew my father in law wanted some meat.

As a side note he thought the pig would weigh @ 150 lbs. It weighed 65 lbs dressed out, which goes to show you that there is often a lot of "blue sky" when it comes to pig weights.
Need less to say my father in law and I are happy with the meat.

See my post in handgun hunting to see what happened to me while butchering these pigs the next morning. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Keep up the good work!

quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
As a side note he thought the pig would weigh @ 150 lbs. It weighed 65 lbs dressed out, which goes to show you that there is often a lot of "blue sky" when it comes to pig weights.

My experience is the opposite. When I shoot I think the pig is a 65 pounder. When I have to pick it up I decide it weighs well over 100. Big Grin

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, unlike whitetails, that shrink when they hit the ground (antlers), my experience with hogs is the opposite. The 50-pounder becomes 75, etc. etc. Shot a "medium" one one day that was standing under the feeder about 100 yds away. Looked to be a good eater. Then when I got to him, couldn't pull him out from under the feeder. Seems he just looked short because he was standing in about 12" of mud. Ended up dragging him out and to a tree with the truck. Then, back to camp, get the block and tackle, back to the tree, hoist him up, back under, let him down, and off to camp for the "meat making". Only weighed 201 lbs (after I washed off all the mud. Taught me to look closer.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:
Well, unlike whitetails, that shrink when they hit the ground (antlers), my experience with hogs is the opposite. The 50-pounder becomes 75, etc. etc. Shot a "medium" one one day that was standing under the feeder about 100 yds away. Looked to be a good eater. Then when I got to him, couldn't pull him out from under the feeder. Seems he just looked short because he was standing in about 12" of mud. Ended up dragging him out and to a tree with the truck. Then, back to camp, get the block and tackle, back to the tree, hoist him up, back under, let him down, and off to camp for the "meat making". Only weighed 201 lbs (after I washed off all the mud. Taught me to look closer.

It's a well known fact that game weight is inversly proportional to the distance into the bush it is.

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
Can we see some pictures of the pig and the gun?

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did it again last week-sitting in the blind with the trusty 7 Mag (for deer) and my trusty .22 (for pigs and snakes). There were several pigs around, and I finally found the right (80 lb) sow at about 30 yards. Bang, pop, flop--right between the eye and ear. No squeal, no kicking-just flop. And the best part, all the deer in the various senderos just looked up, then went back to eating. The other 3 hogs ran about 25 yards, then back to eating. However, when I pulled the truck up to load the carcass, I discovered it had grown since I shot it. Turned out to weigh 130 instead of my original 80 lb estimate. Oh well, it had about 3/4" of fat all over the carcass. Gonna be greasy, but a long slow spell in the cooker will take care of that. And, might just render some of the fat to have the makings for cracklin bread.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"