New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another s. Tx. hog hunt-photos
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have posted several of my Buddy's hunts for hogs on his ranch out of Needville,Tx. I really enjoy his stories.

Last night Vicki and I went hunting after the 10 o'clock news. We hadn't gone much over 1/4 of a mile from the house when she spotted the 'upside down' pig in the spotlight. She squirmed out the window to work the light while I gathered up the rifle. He was pretty close, maybe 75 yards. He was moving on out so my shot placement wasn't as good as it could have been but hit him high in the lungs just behind the shoulder. The shot put him down immediately.. So we continued on down the road. I thought the shot might have caused others to vacate the area and it might have.
After making another couple of miles I spotted a small group running beside the truck maybe 100 yards out.. I kept the truck rolling and handed the light to Vicki who again worked the light from the passenger side of the truck. By the time she got the light on them and I got the rifle the pigs were traveling directly away. I had no shot but chose the largest one and put a 95 grainer right in the middle of it's ass. I heard the shot hit . By this time the pigs had made some light brush and we lost them in the light.
Got up this morning and wanted to go check the pigs. I drove by the first one knowing where he was. I got to the scene of the second shot and left the truck. I took my slung my rifle over my shoulder and walked out to where I had last seen the butt shot pig.. I walked another 75 yards and spied the pig beside a small bush.. Really was a bit surprised to see it so close but walked to quite pleased.. When I was about 30 yards out I grabbed up my rifle and put a round in the chamber. I had seen pigs live over night before. As I approached the pig I was watching for movement of any kind and saw none. I was about to be surprised !! When I got to within eight or ten feet this bitch jumped up grunting and squealing... It sounded quite loud !!! In an instant she was spinning to come at me and I fired a shot into her from the hip feeling as if time was of the essence. The shot hit her behind the shoulder high and took her down but not out. She was pissed and still squealing so I shot her again in order resolve the problem.. The old sow gave me a bit of a start! What a great way to start the morning, get your juices flowing..

Yes, Pat hunts everyday. He was shooting his 6X47 Lapua with 95grn. BT.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a good hog and a good story to go with it. Two thumbs up!

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Those are a couple of nice hogs, Butch!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go, any dead hog is a good one.

Mike / Tx