New
Find
Notify
Tools

New rifles draws first blood....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
While in the country working on a load for the new rifle, I managed to pick off a couple of the local sod busters.

The first was Saturday morning on the way down to my shooting range. He was out in the open and broke for the wood line. I had to stop the truck, get out, chamber a round, and get on him all in about the same motion. He messed up and stopped just shy of the youpon, and I dropped the hammer on him. The shot was a bit high, but did the trick none the less.

The surprising part was how well this 120gr Rem CL held up to the high velocity impact with such a tough critter. It hit the onside shield, then shoulder blade, clipped the back bone, and went through the off side shoulder blade before coming to a stop just inside the muscle on the outside of the shoulder. It would have still had another three inches to get all the way through, but did everything you could have ask for a bullet starting out at 3350fps and slamming a meat hog at 120yds. The damage was minimal and easily trimmed around, no bloodshot gooey stuff at all, simply a 1.5-2" hole straight through.

This little feller, caught a 125gr Wildcat at 275yds on Sunday morning around 11'ish. I was headed down to pick up my loading stuff when I spotted him and a couple of others working inside the back section of our woods. The bigger ones were up behind too much trash to get a clear shot on but this one stepped into a 3-4' wide opening and that was that. The Wildcat did a number on it with it being so tender, but I managed to get one ham, both shoulders and the backstrap to fit into a gallon zip lock bag. Not much bigger than some of the packaged chicken thighs we get on sale. LOL Sure will be good this coming weekend.

Mike / Tx

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Nice work and great shooting, Mike! That first hog is a bit more than a meat hog -- nice cutters on that one! Congratulations!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job Mike

Looks like meat in the freezer.

beer

Posts: 221 | Location: florida big bend | Registered: 14 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I had a great time playing with the loads and getting to bust something with each one was the icing on the cake.

Here are the other pic's if your interested,
Hunting 2010

Oh yea, the dog he could care less if they weren't fighting back or not, he just wanted in on the action. Darn thing drug that big one out of the bucket twice before I could get up on the seat and lift him up to high to reach.LOL

The little one seemed less interesting to him, he simply shook it back and fourth like a rag doll three or four times and let it be. Just a dog having fun in the country.

Mike / Tx

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
what cal.? nice pigs tu2

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting, good looking rifle, what caliber?

DRSS

Posts: 625 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks, the rifle is a 25-06 Ackley Improved.

The specs are,
H-S Precision Pro-Series 2000 M24 A1 Tactical
Burris Signature Rings and Base
Broughton 5C – 4.1 Magnum Sporter 1-9” @ 28”
Callahan Speedlock Aluminum Firing Pin Assembly
Jewell Trigger 1-1/2 oz to 4 lb
Holland's Competition Recoil Lug Stainless Steel
Weaver 4.5 x 14 x 44 AO Tactical Scope
Trued Remington 700 BDL reciever

Mike / Tx