Notify
Tools

Well, despite the rain...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
Hi everyone,

Yestarday night it was full moon but with my luck the day was cloudy, windy and raining Roll Eyes

Anyhow, by 6 pm I was climbed in a small structure I tied to a thin and tall pine.

Some minutes earlier I have left my hunting buddy at another bait three kilometers away.

The thing was that with the STRONG wind I was feeling more like sailing than hunting, the bloody tree was moving from one side to another and from time to time I was worried about how my landing will be Big Grin

To make things worse the wind was from my back so I was giving air to the bucket with milo I have put between a small creek and the forest 60 yards infront me.

As the night arrived everything started to get dark and I was wondering what the hell I was doing there, the wind was howling and some medium size branches where falling from the trees.

While I was there I was already imagining this report, how I will tell you about the bad weather, the bad wind and about returning empty handed once more.

At around 8 pm it was already dark but despite the sky covered with clouds, the full moon was giving some light.

The wind was from my left and from my back, so I was giving air to the bait and to the woods...great !! there was no chance that a pig will never ever get close to my ambush and the raining was getting worst Roll Eyes

Well, one never know what will happen and against all my experience the pig came from my left, with the wind on his back !!

I saw a dark spot moving towards the bucket and I put him on my scope, it was a matter of seconds before he smell me, but he was giving me his back and I was not tempted to try a texas shot so I hold fire two more seconds and suddenly he turn to his right giving me a perfect broadside shot.

Not big, just a young boar, maybe because of that is that he took the wrong decision of entering the bait with the wind from his back and not upwinds as a bigger and smarter pig should have done.

Myself with the pig

My hunting buddy with the pig

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good eating size hog. Buen tiro......Felicitaciones...... Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gato Big Grin

VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION :

The boar has the lungs STICKED against the ribs... bewildered

Very strange, it was very difficult to remove them.

Anyone knows what can caused this ??

Not the bullet explosion...they were really sticked !!!!!!

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
Great story, thanks for sharing. It just goes to show that you can't kill the pigs if your sitting at home.

Don't know about the lungs, have not seen that before?

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Nice work Lorenzo! Congratulations! That is a fine boar that will make great table fare! beer

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen.

I am worried about the lung issue, maybe he has some kind of desease ????

I ask this because the people that work here are starting to take home some meat and I am a little bit concerned. It was really impossible to remove the lungs tissue against the ribs.

Also that part of the ribs smelled really bad and we throw it away.

One of the farm workers here said that if you throw cold water to a domestic pig that has been running their lungs will stick against the ribs..no sure if it's true, maybe just one of those old times farm stories...bewildered

We noticed an old bullet wound in one of the legs, it was already ok but maybe has something to do with the lungs problem...

L

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo-

Without seeing it, it is hard to say, but to be on the safe side, I'd probably discard the entire carcass, though some may feel that is overboard. I always feel it's better to be safe than to regret it later on.

Nonetheless, congratulations on getting the pig. You stuck it out despite all sorts of weather problems -- and it paid off. thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Lorenzo, The lungs stuck to the chest sounds like Pleurisy. We get it in our sheep at times and is usually caused by warm wet conditions, but can also be caused by stress or Pnuemonia. I don't think it is harmful, but if the carcase smells, I wouldn't be eating it just in case something else is wrong.

Posts: 4605 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bobby, my farmworkers will kill me if I try to take away the rest of the meat (without smell and not near the torax from them) Big Grin

They kept the hams and the tenderloins.

shankspony, I think you are right. During the last weeks it has been unusually hot. It must be one of those two things you mentioned, Pleurisy or Pneumonia.

Thanks again.

L

One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
shankspony, I think you are right. During the last weeks it has been unusually hot. It must be one of those two things you mentioned, Pleurisy or Pneumonia.

Thanks again.

L[/QUOTE]

Both of the ideas are plausible and would explain the lungs. If the rest of the meat smelled all right, with no obvious infection anywhere you should be ok. You could take a piece of the meat and fry it and see if the meat had any foul odor under fire?

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote