New
Find
Notify
Tools

Must Be Getting Old-
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Went to the local spot today to put night lights on the feeder legs, and to pull the card from the camera so I could check the arrival/departure times of the hogs. Well, drove up to the feeder and the camera looked "funny"--and when I looked closer, I realized the cover was open. Hmmm, says I, no illegals coming through here, I didn't think, and the landowner and guy who grazes cows here wouldn't do it. Cows, hogs, and turkeys can't do it either, so that leaves me. Guess I had an oldtimers attack last week. Oh well, at least it didn't rain, and I got the night lights up.

Going to my other place tomorrow--landowner has trapped 13 in the last 2 weeks, so he says I'm falling down on the job. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Good luck, and keep us posted!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Went tree-rat hunting Monday PM and saw one--for about 5 seconds. A 45-minute wait and he didn't show, so I walked on over to the river, and back to the truck. Grabbed my "stuff" and headed to my hide, on the hillside with a 300-400 yd view out into the pecan bottom. With the dried grass in the pasture and the moon, I could see 200 yds easy with the naked eye, and 300 with binocs. Could shoot a hog (if he/she was black) at 150 without the red light. Got set up, at supper (homemade soup) and had a cup of coffee. Well, multiple cups of coffee--at 8:30, nothing had showed up, and since the landowner had trapped 13 in the past 2 weeks, and the sign didn't look super fresh, called it a night. Did thoroughly enjoy the fresh air, bright moon, and few stars however.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This stuff is getting old. My "surefire" go-to hog killing spot from last year started out great. First 10 days they were there 5 days straight at the same time, and the last 2 weeks, they've been at the feeder only 3 times. I thought for sure as we got farther away from deer season, when they learned that any trip to a feeder was a prescription for a lead pill, they would be slowly returning to last year's pre-season schedule. But, what do I know? Not any other food sources around unless the folks across the fence have put up feeders since last year. Going to check the camera again tomorrow, and I'm gonna sit a spell anyway. Too tired of sitting around the house with the wife listening to HGTV.