New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warthog tusk size?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got some warthog skulls and was trying to measure the tusk. My question is where does the length measurement begin and end ,at the gum line or removed and including what is inside the jaw? I have two so far as the other larger one is at the taxidermist getting shoulder mounted. The two skulls look quite different yet measure the same which is 11"length 4"around the gumline. Length is measured from gumline to tip on the underside?? Or must the tusk be removed from the jaw for measusuring ? Help as you can see I am lost, I wasn't planning on entering any contest or record book just curious Thanks Ben (rug)

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The tip of the upper tusk is carded off to a flat surface or end at the tip. The base is also measured with a card if it's not a clean edge. The circumfrence is taken at the thickest point of the tusk. The length is added to the girth and then both scores (from each tooth) are totaled up for the SCI score.

This is for warthogs only Bush pig and wild boar are not measured the same way. Anybody know what the difference is, or how wild swine other them warthogs are done?

I'll tell if nobody gets it.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks JJ, everyone that has seen these skulls here in GA. have ask a lot of questions, mainly "what is that?" I have been trying to send them to RSA because I know they would love it. Now , My Guess on the test is the lower jaw is used on wild boar , bush pig , etc.

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote