THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HOG HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hogs, Warthogs, Wild Boars, Javelinas Hunting    TX hog hunters vs. Cali hog hunters!! Pics and a vid!!

Moderators: Whitworth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TX hog hunters vs. Cali hog hunters!! Pics and a vid!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
And with these pics, he sent me a video that almost made me pee my pants the first time I watched it! Its a bunch of Cali hog hunters who damn near shoot themselves in order to.... well, just watch the video and see for yourself!!!! Aww Californians, you gotta love 'em!

PS.. it took me an hour to finally figure out how to post a video clip onto the web.. but I finally got it figured out.. I think? Eeker

"here piggie piggie"

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I guess that was from last year. That same photo was posted here before.

I also don't know many ranches that will gladly let hunters come in and hunt hogs. Most of them that do hunt hogs, charge for it.

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob, like I said, i didn't get any info with the pics other than one of the guys is a friend of my Dad.. Sorry if you've seen them before. I had no idea when they were taken. Just thought they were cool pics to see.

And as far as having a place to go for free, hell, I have probably 5 ranches I can go onto from Pearsall all the way down to near Rio Grande City that I can hunt pigs on any time I feel like it.. That sounds more than free to me!! Not that its a big deal, and I rarely go these days, but I'm just saying that you don't have to pay everywhere you go.. If I called one of them today, I could be hunting there tommorow and not pay a dime for anything other than to get there. Sounds free to me!

You otta know the golden rule if you live in TX... "its who ya know"...

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most places will gladly let you onto their place to do smoke a few hogs.

Your last statement is exactly what I meant. Most places will not gladly let you onto the ranch to hunt pigs and I sure don't want anyone coming here thinking they can just go out and hunt pigs. The only way you are going to do that is if you know the rancher well and he trusts you.

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
Yep, Bob... I'm with ya.

Most landowners have been burned at least once. If we had hogs, I'd be looking for an outfitter to pay me big $$ to bring unknown hunters onto our land. Better still, I would let people I know and trust thin them out with me.

Seems like there are only two kinds of landowners left in Texas: The ones that bought the land at top dollar for recreation and hunting (you will know them by the high fences); and the ones that are still trying to make a living by ranching/farming (you will know them by the weary look on their faces).

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Since baiting and night hunting is legal I always assumed that tons of ranches in TX always produced pigs (and probably they do).

But I just guided a couple guys (one grew up in TX and now lives in CA) who went back to TX for a high dollar pig hunt and got completely skunked. They sat on bait stations for something like 4 or 5 days and saw tons of deer and turkeys but only 2 piglets!

I'll still bet the average TX pig hunt produces more pigs than that average CA hunt.

As to access... Big-Ed has sumed up the situation in CA exactly right also. There are two types of landowners as he described. I look back on EVERY SINGLE RANCH that has been sold in the 18 years I've been running my guided hunting business and NONE have been hunted by anyone from the outside... EVER. The new owners either keep the hunting just for their friends and family or shut it down completely.

I guess if I had the money to buy one of these ranches I would do the same thing but it doesn't predict a good future for pay hunting on private ranches (and the public pig hunting has never been good).

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Just a function of water and feed. Here in Brazoria County we are run over with hogs because we have an unlimited supply of both. In deep South Texas, free range hog numbers go up and down with the drought conditions.

The days when ranchers let someone they don't know on their property to shoot game are about gone. I'm afraid liability lawyers and insurance companies have ended that era. Not to mention that frankly, too many "hunters" would just as soon shoot a steer if they could haul it out un-noticed.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote