New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boar hunting in Ok.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to know if anyone has hunted at Black Mountain Exotics in Ok. Me and a friend plan to book a hunt this fall/winter. Tell me about your experience with this outfit. Good or bad.

Posts: 55 | Location: Wichita Ks. area | Registered: 30 June 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've hunted there twice with a bow. It is a great looking piece of property with a fair amount of hogs on it. Most of the hogs were 150lbs and less though. We were unsuccessful because we were told that he had several (20+) hogs over 300lbs, so we continued to pass on smaller hogs. In two hunts, I never saw any boar over 225lbs and only two at that size. I believe the owner greatly overstated the amount of large boars on his ranch. I would rate it a 5 out 10. Hope this helps.

Posts: 12 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 19 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think most outfitters and landowners that "sell" hunts overstate the amount of game and quality/size. I have hunted a S. Tx ranch for the past 6 years, and during that time, we have killed only 2 hogs over 250 (out of probably 100 total kills). One was a sow that weighed 262 (before field dressing) and the other was a boar that we had to field dress in the cactus because two of us couldn't drag him to the truck. I have seen one this year that might hit 250, and several 200-225 or so. Most of them just don't get that big. However, this is one animal that normally doesn't suffer from "ground shrinkage" like antlered game. If it looks big, it probably is big.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Ah heck, those little 120-150 pounders are just as fun to shoot and, in my experience, better eating. When it comes to hog hunting I'd rather have plenty of shooting opportunities than one big one. I'm in it for the numbers, and that tasty pork.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote