THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HOG HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hogs, Warthogs, Wild Boars, Javelinas Hunting    Wild West Guns and their 457 Wild West mag, possibly group buy...

Moderators: Whitworth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wild West Guns and their 457 Wild West mag, possibly group buy...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cold
posted
I am looking at, and checking interest on getting a group buy going on these neat guns from these guys in Alsaka, I met them at the SHOT SHOW in Vegas this past weekend, I dont know how many of yall have actually heard of them, however they make a fully custom lever action in a chambering known as 457 WW magnum which is interchangable with 45-70 govt and 2" .410 shotshells. I would think this would be a GREAT hog gun for those who love to hunt with lever actions as well. Anyways I am checking interest and talked with Jim West, owner of wild west guns, and we are tyring to arrange a group buy of 25 rifles. Their web site linked below Wild West Guns Web site The gun we are looking into is the Alaskin Guide model which would include their big loop lever and some other goodies. So let me know if their would be any interest in persuing this. My email is jonesja@mac.com

here is the official thread where the group buy wil be held, they handled all my other group buys and did a wonderful job at it. Official GB thread

Price is to be determined upon the number of rifles sold in the deal. So again if there is any interest please send me an email or let me know in this thread what would make it a good deal or sweeten it up! Thanks guys!

Posts: 221 | Location: SEC | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
hi im a guide from argentina and i always use a marlin guide gun for boars and sometimes for bufalos see the rest of the world hunt reports,i know for several years ago the copilot from wild west guns they are wonderful rifles rated very high by jeff cooper.juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6367 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
i just checked your page wonderful i recommend it to other members specially jeffery denmark,gus and nainitial.juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6367 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle in .500 S&W

Juan please check out this site to
Wink
http://www.turnbullrestoration.com/bigboreclassic.htm

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
WONDERFUL SITE YOU WILL TRY MY GUIDE GUN HERE ON A BROCKET DEER OR A HOG.JUAN

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I READ THAT A PH FROM SOUTH AFRICA DANIE VAN GRAAN USED A COPILOT IN 4570 TO HUNT CAPE BUFALO HIS THE OWNER OF ENGOYAMENI SAFARIS AND FRECUENT GUIDE OF JEFF COOPER.DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THEY HAVE A WEB SITE IT WILL BE INTERSTING TO ASK HIM ABOUT THIS.JUAN

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out Garrett Cartridges website, if you want to see what a .45-70 can do with +P loads!

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Referring back to 500 S&W rifle, it's known as the WWG 04 Model, WWG's own receiver - Yes, it's so nice that I placed my order. The nice gal told me it will ready around Aug-Sept. beer

"Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass." Mark Twain - Chris - IYAOYAS!

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CK

What is the cost of the WWG 04 model in .500 S&W?I se no price listed Confused

Cheers,
André

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Juan Jæger

I look forward to trying your 45/70 Big Grin
I will bring pleanty of .500 Jeffery cartridges for you to shoot.

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
A custom WWG 04 Model in 500 S&W with the options I got ran $1800.00 US -- I opted for the synthetic stock, 18.5 inch non-ported barrel, non-take down and less the scope mount. The rifle I ordered should look very similar the picture above.

"Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass." Mark Twain - Chris - IYAOYAS!

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I remember driving through Alaska in 1995 and stopping at a gunstore to browse and saw what they said was "A Copilot", that they were making there. A pretty little redhead behind the counter even posed with one for me and I have the picture in one of my albums.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12578 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Post the dang picture of the redhead Razzer

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Yesss! Got to see the guns. Packy troll

one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
UPDATE

I just got off the phone with Jim West, owner of Wild West Guns and as always, the wildest of the Wests, he is going to run numbers and send me and email and or call me tomorrow with the results. The price reduction will depend on the following things: First: the number of orders we can get within a month (the standard Ar15.com GB wait time) Second the specs we have for the rifle, unlike my 458 SOCOM group buy, this one will have little to no chance of variation. As Mr. West stated, they are not making guns, they are customizing, accurazing and outfitting a leveraction and thus, the less deviation that is in the group buy, the easier it would be for them to bang them out (right now their current wait time is 9 months, but for us with a standardized group buy, we would get a nice push to the front....) and thus we would need to decide on a single spec'd out model. With that being said, I believe we would be going with the standard guide model which retails for $1,320 but of course we will be soon finding out the discount. Also, there will be a group buy on ammo if this gets off the ground and approved. In case you all didnt know Col. Jeff Cooper, renounded in the shooting sports and hunting world, uses a Wild West Guns Lever action and loves it, remarks on it and featured it in his latest book. It is a real FINE piece of shooting iron to say the least. I will post the results of Jim West's number crunching once I get it!

Wild West Guns Group Buy Link

also guys feel free to email me if you want in

jonesja@mac.com

thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have one, in 50 Alaskan.Well made ,just the ticket for tough Bear.4t1

Posts: 714 | Location: CT | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW,I would consider using a slingshot before I gave Wild west any of my hard earned money

Posts: 91 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Childers:
FWIW,I would consider using a slingshot before I gave Wild west any of my hard earned money

I've heard that statement before? What's the beef?

one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
yes please elaborate, I would also like to know what if any complaints people have about them

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Does "the owner is an arrogant a*&**le" explain? Enough of my friends and acquaintances have been treated poorly at the store's hands that I'm not buying anything from them directly again. I might buy parts indirectly. Any of their parts I have purchased have been as advertised, though overpriced. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is my beef.They have bad customer service.I guess when you get that big you dont have to have good customer service.This is the reason I will never ever have them do any work or purchase anything from them.

Posts: 91 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
although it isn't quite the same, Marlin has a new 1895 out that shoots the 475 linebaugh. But, I guess if I were to spend the money, I would start with a 45-70 and go up from there. Too bad nobody has a lever action big enough for a 600NE. Those $40k SxS and single shots are just a TAD out of my price range.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was interested in the 457 wild west magnum sometime back, and I inquired about it on the Marlin Owner's forum (www.marlinowners.com/board). Several of the people there told me the standard 1895 can be modified to allow the 45-70 cartidge to be loaded with the bullet seated farther out, thereby allowing more room for powder. It basically accomplishes the same thing the 457mag does, but without having to buy new brass or pay $1000+ for the modification. Granted, if you're after the total package WWG is offering, then go for it! But as far as hot-rodding the 1895 45-70, there are cheaper options.

Also mentioned was modifying the 1895 to 450 Alaskan, which if I remember is even more stout than the 457mag.

I say to each his own, and enjoy what you shoot and spend your money on! Wish I could justify it, but we don't have any critters in Texas that a 45-70 won't flatten.

...on earth as it is in Texas

Posts: 93 | Location: Magnolia, TX | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
very good point TxPitdog

I agree with you, it was more just a curiosity to see if anyone on here wanted in on a nice custom gun

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXpitdog:
I was interested in the 457 wild west magnum sometime back, and I inquired about it on the Marlin Owner's forum (www.marlinowners.com/board). Several of the people there told me the standard 1895 can be modified to allow the 45-70 cartidge to be loaded with the bullet seated farther out, thereby allowing more room for powder. It basically accomplishes the same thing the 457mag does, but without having to buy new brass or pay $1000+ for the modification. Granted, if you're after the total package WWG is offering, then go for it! But as far as hot-rodding the 1895 45-70, there are cheaper options.

Also mentioned was modifying the 1895 to 450 Alaskan, which if I remember is even more stout than the 457mag.

I say to each his own, and enjoy what you shoot and spend your money on! Wish I could justify it, but we don't have any critters in Texas that a 45-70 won't flatten.

This modification was covered by M.L. Mcpherson(spelling?), in Precision Shooting/Accurate Rifle Magazine a couple of years ago. I believe he reprinted it in his book, Accurizing the Factory Rifle.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
basicaly I believe the 475 wild west mag is a 45-90 aand I too would go with a 500 Alaskan over it.and am not a fan of wild west guns o yea I used to live in Alaska

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote