Find
Notify
Tools

7mm BB & SB Polar team up on a late-night boar
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted

I was finally able to use the SB Polar 3-12x54 with D7 reticle for what I intended it: hogs.

A boar decided to show up after midnight, and I happened to be outside and waiting for the opportunity. From 165 yards, I was able to lace the vitals with a 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip that leaves the muzzle at 2651 fps. I was lucky and able to get the bullet through the heart, which was wrecked not only by the bullet but by secondary bone fragments from the shoulder blade as well. The lower portions of both lungs also sustained heavy damage. The bullet was recovered under the hide on the far side (pics of that coming later on). Anyway, at the shot, the boar swapped ends and ran smack into a huisache app. 18-20 yards from where he took the bullet -- and that's where he stayed.

With the available moonlight (clear skies but with dew settling) and the wonderful optical qualities of the scope, I was able to turn up the magnification to 12x. From a solid rest, the shot -- while not as simple as a daytime presentation -- was fairly easy, all things considered.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sweeeeeeeeet!

Fine optics sure make a difference!

BTW that boar looks like a dandy.

good on ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Thanks. He was a little plump, no doubt. Didn't have much length, but the girth was pretty decent for one this age. He had been eating well -- most likely my protein for the deer! Smiler

Here's the recovered bullet. Plowed through both shoulders and very nearly exited. Some may call it a failure since the core and jacket separated. I call it darn good performance for a non-bonded and light-for-caliber projectile. After washing off the blood and tissue seen in the photo, it weighed right at 94.5 grains.

GWB, I'll tell you a story about this one some day. Too much to type. But I didn't heed the advice of cardiologist and exerted a bit more than I should have -- and nearly wound up in about the same shape as this hog. It's rough to be bull-headed and stubborn. Big Grin But it's all better now.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! Nice porker.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang it Bobby--here I am 600 miles away from home and missing time in the stand and you go and post this! Good on ya though---at least I have something to look forward to when I get back home next week!

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the piggies are making sure your feeders are still working, dustoffer! Wishing you safe travels on your trip back home.

I plan on taking another look or two outside tonight as I doubt I will be able to sleep anyway considering how the evening is progressing. So I'm hoping for another therapeutic trigger pull. That is better than pain meds at making a person forget what ails him, even if only temporary. Smiler

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Great story and shot. From the looks of that one tusk that can be seen, doesn't look like he was all that old.

Congratulations.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
You are right, CHC. This is not an older animal. He'd just been eating quite well, it seems.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great to see you're still whacking them when you can. Fine pictures, thanks for sharing with us.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Excellent photos and report your experince is very important .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote