New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hog Attractant?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone felt like liquid hog attractant (Pig Out, Hogs-Hammer-It, etc.) has any value in trying to draw-out or concentrate hogs?

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
like wine at a dfl meeting

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Strawberry jello powder is what a lot of local folks use.

Posts: 70 | Location: College Station TX | Registered: 06 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
We have no hogs here. But for real wild boars, "fish soup" is great. Just take some fish heads or other parts, put into the bucket, add some water, put lid on and place on the sunlight for few days. Spread over the place you want to attract wild boars. Boars love it. People hate it. Works also for foxes and other predators.

Jiri

Posts: 2076 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Corn, corn, and more corn.

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Diesel soaked corn, if you can afford the diesel..........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried several of the liquids. All were molasses based with volatiles to smell different, cheese, berries and such. Once the smell flashed off, they attracted cows! I had cows break down the little bit of fence around the corn feeder! Now when things got slow I sprayed "Code Blue" sow in heat around the corn feeder. I do believe it encouraged the lone boar or two to visit the feeder. Corn kept them around until the lead flew!

Posts: 702 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have whacked a lot of hogs in my life. The best liquid I have used is raw molasses. By far.

I have this old cracker who works for me at the ranch . He was trying to traps these hogs with no luck. I went in and placed a mound of corn in the trap. I then poured raw molasses on the corn. Caught them first night.

We have bath tub in pastures . We put molasses in them for the cows. It is unbelievable the number of hogs that come to these .

Posts: 11973 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried pouring a jug of Hogs-Hammer-It into a five gallon bucket of deer corn and spreading it in a few strategic locations. Never saw a hog, but found the deer feeding on it every mornings.

The ranch adjoining where I hunt allows helicopter overflights and they have killed 100 hogs a year for a number of years. Hog-count is way down. They can still catch plenty with dogs, but hunters without thermal scopes don't see many.......and I refuse to hunt with thermal scopes, helicopters, and ARs.

(The ranch foreman also told me that on that other ranch a "hunter" using thermal killed a $4,000 bull by mistake. Eeker

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven’t used a liquid pig attractant, but I can tell you that “Golden Nuggets” berry flavored pellets will attract lots and lots of hogs. As mentioned above, strawberry jello, mixed with corn, will bring them in, too.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2759 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
I have soured corn in a five gallon bucket with milk and often at times beer as well. mix it roughly 65% / 35% corn and liquid and let it sit in the sun for about two weeks. Also, you can use Hog Wild attractant which works really well (SEE HERE)

Posts: 606 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have always had great luck with fermented corn poured over piles of feed corn.

Put about 4 gallons of corn is a 5 gallon bucket and fill with hot water. Toss in a few packets of yeast, some molasses and then fill with the cheapest beer you can find. Let it ferment in the sun for a week or more. When more liquid is needed use more beer that has been sitting in the sun.

When we were in SA hunting Bushpig I was chatting with my PH about the bait he uses.

He uses the exact same recipe.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1051 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote