Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hog wallow hunting
 Login/Join

posted
I got two hogs this weekend. Both of them were sows, one was @225# and the other was @150#. I got them feeding out in oak flats. We also ran some out of a thicket. I also got one in a different area this summer that was about 170#.

My question is I found a small pond in the woods that they are wallowing in. They are also rubbing on the trees in the area. The mud on the trees goes up the ridge toward the thickets that we jumped some out of. When do hogs usually hit wallows????? How often, etc, etc, etc,

How would you guys approach hunting this? It is on public land. What about baiting? How easy is it to run hogs off a wallow......Any info or tips would be great.

thanks
224TTH

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
My experience comes from private land in CA so we only have to worry about our own pressure but we can't hunt at night. I hear bait works terrific but is not legal in CA either. (It's almost like they want us to hunt fair chase Wink)

I've seen pigs generally wallow at night (not legal shooting hours for us), but we do take a few pigs while wallowing in the late evenings. I guess if they had very little or no hunting pressure they would wallow during the day too.

Generally I haven't seen pigs wallow in the mornings. I have seen a few wallow during the middle of the day during extreme heat, but it's been quite rare.

I use recent wallowing more as an indicator to current usage to know to concentrate in that area. Occationally we'll sit on a wallow if it's had really heavy and consistant usage or we have a client with limited physical ability or using a weapon with limited range.

For paid clients we can't often justify looking at only 1 acre of a wallow for a whole evening.

Hope that helps.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Down here in S. Texas they hit the mud during the heat of the day.

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Drove up to the camphouse one July day around noon and when I got out to make my usual walk around the camp to check for any intruder evidence, I heard the hogs squealing in the small tank (pond to non-Texans) that is about 150 yds from the camp. Just picked up the Ruger 77/22 and sneaked on down the road. The tank was full of pigs, and they reminded me of the pictures I've seen of hippos in African safari movies. I got to within 20 yds thanks to a screen of mesquite and cactus and just enjoyed watching them. When the right boar climbed out and was standind on top of the tank dam, I popped him in the ear. I had waited until he was on top of the dam so he wouldn't be in the water and mud, but of course, when I shot him he rolled back into the tank. So threw a loop over a leg and towed him to the other side of the tank, walked back, got the truck, and by 1:15 had him hanging in the walk-in. Last week, I was watching a bunch of deer and hogs when a mid-sized boar (150 or so) showed up--and he had about 50 lbs of mud on him. This was around 5:30 on a December evening. So, when do they hit the wallows? I would say whenever they want to.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"