New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hog hunts at Choke Canyon
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I wanted to go down to Matagorda area and see friends in November, so on a whim, I applied for the either-sex deer hunt in Choke Canyon. I drew the Thanksgiving weekend muzzleloader hunt for the North Shore unit. I know it is supposed to be a compartment arrangement, rather than stands. It also allows unlimited hogs, and I'm wondering if that is a reasonable expectation in this area? I will shoot my 50 cal. White and 300 grain bullets, but might want to take some 340 and 400 grain hard casts to try also. Any info from you Texan's?

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would expect hogs in that area to be under 200 pounds. Probably more close to 125 and below...

Posts: 199 | Location: D/FW Texas | Registered: 10 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i bowhunted that area several years ago and I can tell you that some of the hogs are well over 200lbs. I had the best luck still hunting slowly through the South Texas Brush and corning the senders. If you are not familiar with South Texas flora, it all has thorns and is sometimes so thick you can't see your feet. It is however a game paradise. Are javelina legal to take on your hunt? If so, corn the senderos, get upwind, and wait. Something will come out. You also might want to consider using some of the commercial hog attractant products such as "Hog Wild". Within reason they work well. I have tried hog calls with very limited success, but a javelina call can work well, if they are legal game. Have fun and enjoy the game "Mecca" that is South Texas. Jerry Hoover

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I have been to Choke Canyon before, but only the South park area. The permit will not include javelina; just deer, hogs, and coyotes. I will stay in Three Rivers, then go out to Uvalde to finish up a few more days. When the permit and instructions arrive, I will see about using corn and other attractants. Hoping the deer will come to horns by then, and get a good one, plus a nice sow would be great for the table.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jerry Hoover, did you misspeak? I would surely rather be downwind of my corned sendero.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
You do get a lot more hunting in with an upwind approach! gunsmile

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You areb rightDustoffer. I think I had a brain fart. I did mean down wind. Thanks for catchung my error.Jerry Hoover

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are welcome Jerry--all of us do that sooner or later (and for me, it seems to be more frequently lately).

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"