Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

South/West Texas Javelina
 Login/Join

posted
What guide-service is the best for spot-and-stalk javelina hunting in south or west texas?

Posts: 23 | Location: Texas, United States | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Burton hunting service in west texas.

Posts: 54 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
You might check out this site.

I hear some good talk about their operation.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
You might check out this site.

I hear some good talk about their operation.

What have you heard about them? LOL But you know I have heard good things about them too.

You couldn't do wrong looking at these guys.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[quote]What have you heard about them?quote]

I was told that the old boy that runs is the outfit is a Radical Old Bastard.

They say he is fairly entertaining however and a descent hand at cooking Fajitas and New York Strips over a Mesquite fire.

His wife and Daughter are damn good cooks when they can be out there and they spoil the clients with pies/cakes/cookies and such, and such breakfast goodies as pancakes/waffles & french toast.

When they ain't there the clients have to suffer with that old fools bacon/sausage/egg/potato and tortillia roll ups.

Also heard he is a pretty fair hand at putting his clients on to Javelina and some fairly descent Gobblers during the spring season, hear he runs right at 100% on both every year.

Course, this is all just hear say, except the part about him being an Honery, Radical Old Bastard.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
Yea Honary, Radical, Crusty Old Bastard is likley the reference most used. I heard he can put you on some jack rabbitts as well once you get your Javi. Heard he had access to some property that had some good javalina to take.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is 20,000 acres of prime Javelina habitat, and that is the whole 20,000 acres, not just pockets.

It is a niche hunt, not for everyone, and repeat customers are few and far between.

I am pretty sure the repeats I do have, are people that want to come and spend time with me on the ranch, and the javelina hunting is sort of peripheral.

I will be posting some of my 2010 hunt prices and details for AR members this weekend.

One other thing I have found out, those people that come into camp talking about hearing how Javelina are inedible and such, go away humming a different tune after they get some mesquite grilled-bone in-Javelina chops.

It is a fun little hunt, and if done right, is a great first animal for an inexperienced hunter, regardless of their age.

One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
Sound interesting. I sure would like to come hunt there and my wife has been bugging me about a Javelina mount. Now if I could just hit something smaller than a barn door at a range greater than 100 yards. This east Texas hog and deer hunting has spoiled me. Smiler

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 634 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you hit a Barn Door at 100 inches?

My last hunter this year shot a 59 pound boar at about 15 feet this past April.

I finally broke down and slipped up on one and shot it at about 12 to 15 yards with a 40 pound pull bow and flint tipped wooden arrow.

I can set a person up for a 100 yard or longer shot if that is what they want, but I can turn it into 100 feet fairly quickly.

One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
That sounds more my speed. Anything under 100 yards should work. When I think about West Texas I think 200+ for some reason.

I don't know anyone that wants to tag along and you have a two hunter minimum. Do you only host one group at a time or do you mix groups?

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 634 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can set up hunts for one hunter by themselves or one hunter and an observer/companion, and no I normally do not mix groups.

I have done it a time or two ibn the past and it just does not lend its self to my style of hunting.

I prefer having two hunters minimum, but depending on scheduling and weather, having a lone hunter or a hunter and a non-hunting companion in camp makes for a nice hunt on the clients side and on my side.