New
Find
Notify
Tools

WArthogs 458 FN 2100 fps
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I loaded up some 458 win mags with 55 grs of H4198 and a 350 gr hornady FN.Doin 2100fps out of my lott..Of course I'll have to resight the gun in,but I'm thinkin that might make a good wart load,after I'm done bigger animals,but never being in africa,I'd like feedback please

one of us
posted Hide Post
Charger: that load of yours is fully the equal of a .450 Marlin, indeed a very good recipe for any hog that trods the Earth.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ya,although I dont knowthe animals composition,I know those projectiles at that speed will make a road through any underbrush hes in

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other bullets to look at are the rem 405's and the speer 400's the speers are quite soft though.

Woodleigh also make a 400 gr protected point .458 bullet which would be a great plains game and hog bullet as well, it has a good bc as well.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the 400gr Swift A-Frame, a flat nose protected point with two cannelures - one for lever guns and the other for bolt guns. I'd bet it's pure poison on nearly anything short of elephant in a .458 Win or Lott.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I used the 350 Hornady RN in my .458 Win. as my back up while guiding for feral pigs for several years. The bullets didn't always hold together very well, but my loads were going faster than that. I had much better results with the 350 gr. X bullets. They always made impressive kills and exited at ANY angle.

On another note: You'll find life is much simpler to stick to one load (or at the most 2 loads - soft and solid) for your guns while traveling. Murphy's Law almost assures that you'll have the wrong load/wrong sighting for the next tremendous trophy that shows it's face.

A 450 gr. Swift or X will kill anything (and much more) than that 350 gr. Hornady will. None of them shoot very flat in that diameter so don't give me that argument. Wink

Best of luck,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote