New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: New Feral Hog questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If they're bedding there, they will almost certainly be in the thick brush. But on that size area, there is a good chance they are coming from somewhere else to feed there.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Gg and Bakes

Thanx for all of the information.

In an area of open hardwoods. thick brush and open grass land (pasture) with a few ponds in about 350 - 500 acres, where can I expect these puppies to bed down?

So far I think most of their rooting activities have been confined to areas under Hickory trees (kinda give me a whole new idea of the term "pig nut hickory").

They have done some rooting in an area of open grass pasture, but nothing fresh!

Dang don't they know they have been invited to a BBQ?

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I would find the closest pond to where they are feeding. They will move back and forth to water several times a day, depending on weather. Be prepared for a minature freight train to come through. The little buggers are constantly on the move when not feeding or bedded down.

If you are interested in only the boars, you might what to try an attractant scent like Hog in Heat. http://www.inheatscents.net/ihsmenu.html I have had some success with it. They have a dripper that allows it come out over the course of several days. There is no regular season for the females to come into heat, so the boars are always checking. But it depends on your preferred style of hunting.

Pete